New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade 10.3.9 to 10.4 - definitive advice please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robinherd

robinherd is on a distinguished road

HI

New user here. I know some of you will shake your heads in shame at the hardware i'm running but bear with me. I need some advice on upgrading from 10.3.9 to 10.4 and the web is full of misleading articles.

OK, spec as follows,

eMac with 1.25 G4 processor, 768MB RAM, 80GB HD.

Currently running 10.3.9 and aside from some internet browser issues it still knocks the socks off windows!!

I want to upgrade to 10.4 (as it wont let me jump any further in one go). Looking on ebay its a bit confusing as to if any of the second hand discs will work. dont want to buy the wrong thing.

so questions are as follows,

1. What am i looking for on ebay in terms of sourcing the right discs?
2. Do i need to backup?
3. Anything else i need to be aware of?

Hope someone can help me get into the 21st century!!

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Tiger is a great OS for that machine. I am pretty sure the eMac 1.25Ghz will take 2GB RAM. If I were you I would at least upgrade to 1GB RAM for Tiger.

Now onto the DVD. Tiger in general except for Special Order came on a Single DVD. Do NOT get the Gray Machine Specific Tiger DVD! Many are floating around Ebay.

Get the Black Full Retail of Tiger! That will install on your machine, but not the Gray DVD's (They are totally machine specific and only work on the Model Mac they came with.

If you get the Black Full retail of Tiger, you will be good to go. It will work with your 768MB RAM but like I said, I recommend more. BTW, when you install Tiger, run the Software Update and it will update to 10.4.11.

Let me find you a Tiger DVD that will work. Will be right back with a URL.

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-OS-X-10-...#ht_516wt_1413

A bit more $$$ but here is another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-OS...#ht_781wt_1413
QUOTE Thanks
robinherd

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response. greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to make sure i got the right thing.

is it worth backing up prior to doing the install or just go for it?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

If there is say iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band) then yes. Did the machine come with any install CD/DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
robinherd

i think there is an ilife install disc that came with it. i'll have a look tonight after work and see. its currently not working anyway so no big loss. Will buy a cheap external hard drive and dump all my photos etc on it just in case.

Thanks for your help. will post an update once i get it purchased and working.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Sounds great to me. Good luck and keep us posted!!
QUOTE Thanks
robinherd

Do either of the 2 urls below look appropriate?

MAC OSX V10.4 Tiger | eBay

MAC OS X 10.4.6 Only used once grab a bargain - Full DVD INCLUDES Xcode2 | eBay
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Both of those appear to be the full retail version.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.6.8 update wireless connection times out. | granting read and write permissions / privileges for multiple users and new files »