New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Kernal Panic questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joshyee

joshyee is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure this topic is somewhere else, I will search after this. But my basic understanding is that I have to reinstall the OS X. This is for an older Macbook from 2007. I got the Macbook from a friend who lost the disk to install OS X Tiger.

I was wondering if I have to fix it first and put Tiger back on it, or can I just go out and buy Snow Leopard and install it to have it and fix kernal panic problem at the same time and to save money since I do want to put snow leopard on it. So if anyone can answer that for me please.

I'm a noob with mac. Just got a newer Mac Mini for work and love it. Got this macbook from a friend who needed it fixed, replaced the screen and battery and learned that it also had this kernal panic thing. Oh and by the way, I did try all the steps like option command p and r start up, as well as command s and the other tries to help fix, nothing helped. So I assume that it just needs to reinstall the os x.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshyee View Post
I'm pretty sure this topic is somewhere else, I will search after this.
You're supposed to search first. If you get an answer in this thread...then what's the point of searching later??

Quote:
But my basic understanding is that I have to reinstall the OS X.
No necessarily. In fact not very often at all. Most times kernel panics are hardware related (not software or OS related). This is not to say that kernel panics cannot be OS/software related. It's just that the majority of the time it's hardware that's the issue not software.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
joshyee

joshyee is on a distinguished road

I see, I think I did find something in search that I can try. So sorry for the post. If the admins or whoever can please close this thread. Didn't see anywhere to delete it. . Apologies, and thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I see, I think I did find something in search that I can try. So sorry for the post. If the admins or whoever can please close this thread. Didn't see anywhere to delete it. . Apologies, and thanks.
I'm not sure of the history of this MacBook you got from a friend...but one VERY common kernel panic issue is bad ram.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I unlock a burn folder? | Problems formatting iMac »