New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"Other" Taking up 50% of my Disk Space.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DigiDan

DigiDan is on a distinguished road

I have been checking out various ways to make sure I don't bog down my new Mac Mini 2.5Ghz i5 with loads of junk files. I am using time machine to backup to an external USB hard drive that is partitioned. I have about 70% of 840 GB for Time Machine and the rest for files storage, iTunes Library, photos & RAW files, etc. Well I notice that with the nifty graphics in OS X 10.7.1 "Lion" that My Time Machine is backing up as "Other" (didn't know if this is the norm) and also my Internal Hard Drive has over 40GB of "Other" on it Are these System files? If so how in the world could you install a 64 GB SSD as a boot drive with any room to spare for apps etc? Im thinking I have some cleaning to do, but WHERE? Oh I guess you have figured out I am a MAC Newbie. I am LOVING life with my new Mac Mini though and wouldn't go back to Windows for anything for my use. I will try to attach an image of what I am seeing....
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-02 at 8.06.16 PM.png (72.9 KB, 100 views)
QUOTE Thanks
DigiDan

Is there no one with any experience with this? I am a MAC Newbie so I don;t know maybe I am just being daft, but it seems like a boatload of extra data to be written as "Other" and it seems like time machine would be labeled as backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Other is anything that isn't one of the listed files. System files, config files, documents, all can be labelled as 'other'.

Please don't cross post.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
DigiDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Other is anything that isn't one of the listed files. System files, config files, documents, all can be labelled as 'other'.

Please don't cross post.
Yes I assumed that, but 42GB worth? Im thinking it must have somehting to do with CS5.5 but i dont know what is OK to get rid of in there, So I may just have to live with it, or maybe remove all of it and reinstall the Collection, but with limited programs installed. I'm just thinking out loud.
As for the cross post, I figured I wasn't getting any responses so I would try in another area. Doesn't seem like many people are keen on helping Mac newcomers around here...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

CS would be a app. The OS is going to be close to 5-6GB alone. FWIW, my install is 40.6GB of 'Other'. So be it. It's data OTHER than the above format types. CS5.5 (design standard), with the lens profiler application (which is additional) is about 4.6GB.

A couple hours on a Sunday is really not a long time for a thread to go unanswered.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Other is anything that does not fall into the 5 other categories listed audio ,movies,photos,apps and backups don't mess with it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Download Grand Perspective or something like it (it's free, there are a few other similar apps) and have a look at the map it produces.

But what you're almost certain to find is the bulk of "Other" is stuff you need -- like your email (and its attachments) for example. There might be some undeleted temp files and such, but more likely your system is perfectly normal.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@DigiDan

Do not cross post. Only post to one forum and continue posting back to the same thread. Your cross post has been merged together here.

Quote:
As for the cross post, I figured I wasn't getting any responses so I would try in another area. Doesn't seem like many people are keen on helping Mac newcomers around here...
These forums are loaded with countless thousands of posts of people helping other people. Folks who post here are not paid support personnel, they do it because they want to do it. When you post a question don't expect an immediate answer. It may take awhile before you get responses. Be patient.

Thanks for your cooperation.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDan View Post
First, this is Sunday. People have families and lives. Like was said here already, the Staff does not get paid and we need to do things with family, friends also. I would have jumped all over your thread but was out of town with close friends in the mountains where the only internet I had access to is a 26400 dialup that is so slow even opening Mac Forums takes 2-3 minutes!

Also we DO welcome newcomers here. The staff and seasoned members really do not need much help at all. 90% of the help is to new people. Next time, give it a bit of time for people who understand your issue to read and reply.

I think you were given some excellent advice by others. Just be careful and do not start deleting stuff unless you are sure what is it as you might destroy OSX or some other important App.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

@DigiDan, you need to just let it be. You have a ton of free space on the drives, which is what is important for performance. Unless you encounter performance problems, don't worry about it.
QUOTE Thanks
DigiDan

My thanks to everyone for the info. I gues I am just tused to the iPad forums where there are dozens of replys to a new thread almost immediately, depending on whe its posted. As for the data, i am still thinking of slimming down the installed ADOBE CS5 apps that are installed (there are about 25 or so in the Master Collection these days) as i really only use aboout 8 of them. My concern for space isn't really an issue at my current setup, but i plan on installing a SSD for boot drive and i know space will be limited to my budget there. I am thinknig 128GB SSD plus a 7200rpm drive for storage etc.
Anyway, thanks again to everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDan View Post
I am thinknig 128GB SSD plus a 7200rpm drive for storage etc.
Anyway, thanks again to everyone!
Take some advice from me, if you want. I tried pretty much all the hdd/ssd combinations. Had a hybrid ssd(Seagate XT) in the caddy, along with an OCZ ssd for the OS. Controlling the files from being downloaded in the wrong area is a pain. Some file don't give you controls at all because they're required to be on the same drive as the OS.

I also had dual OWC ssd setup(60/120), single OWC ssd setup($400! 240gb), which was not consistent. Just buy the best hdd you can buy, and hold on till better stuff comes out for better prices.

The other problem with having dual drives is that time machine can't do a single backup of your setup. So, if you split your OS and files, you are pretty much out of luck. What I actually did with the 120/60(caddy) setup was use the 120 for everything, and place copies of data(pics/documents in the 60gb as a permanent storage. 120gb is more than enough for my use, but the problem is that in an SSD, the more you fill it up, the quicker you start to notice slow downs because it has no open/empty blocks to replace a damaged one with. That's why I didn't keep it. I now use a single Western Digital Black 500gb 7200rpm. The performance is perfectly fine for my needs.

Just my 2 pennies.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
MelodyMc

MelodyMc is on a distinguished road

My macbook pro is saying my disk is full. My storage says I have 17MB available. That's it. My iPhone 4S also did the same thing, and I had to restore it in order to be able to even take a picture. My first trip to the Apple store didn't help. They told me to delete my pictures. It didn't help. Now my MacBook is doing the exact same thing. This is so frustrating! I'm back at the Apple store, but not sure they are going to be able to help me. Anyone else experience the same problem?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Other can be all sorts of things, the best thing to do in this case IMO is to get DaisyDisk involved.
It makes it super easy to see what data is taking up space and where.

Not free, but it has a uncrippled demo from what I hear. I don't know for sure because I've been buying major versions it since it's release
DaisyDisk - Analyze disk usage and free up disk space on Mac

And yes, there are free solutions out there. But, they use slower searching engines and don't look as pretty
Download Disk Inventory X for Mac - Disk usage utility. MacUpdate.com

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
MelodyMc

MelodyMc is on a distinguished road

Thanks, McYukon! Disk Inventory X worked (downloaded it while waiting for the Genius Bar rep) and the Apple store was able to help me clear out a part of my AOL mail that was taking up over 178GB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie - Lion/Safari crashing issues | Using Adobe Creative Suite CS4 in Windows 7 via Bootcamp or alternatives »