New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Failing to boot OS X 10.2 CD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arc07693

arc07693 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G4 800 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

I have a retail Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar CD I'm trying to boot on an 800 MHz iMac G4, with no success so far.

Booting by the "C" key does not work.

Booting using the Option key does not work either.

I went to my last resort, using the "boot" command in OpenFirmware, which also, does not work. (Can someone tell me what I did wrong?)

HOW DO I GET THIS DANG THING TO BOOT?!

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The 10.2 Jaguar CD is a Retail one and not one that came with another Mac? Is the surface dirty or with fingerprints?

Only other thing I can think of is the Optical drive is either dirty or faulty. That is a quite old machine so it would be the later.

Is there an OS on the hard drive? If so, can you boot from it and read any CD/DVD in the drive??
QUOTE Thanks
arc07693

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The 10.2 Jaguar CD is a Retail one and not one that came with another Mac? Is the surface dirty or with fingerprints?

Only other thing I can think of is the Optical drive is either dirty or faulty. That is a quite old machine so it would be the later.

Is there an OS on the hard drive? If so, can you boot from it and read any CD/DVD in the drive??
Yes, it is a retail CD, and it is clean. There was OS X Tiger on it before, and it had no problems reading CD's and DVD's. Currently there is no OS on the hard drive.

QUOTE Thanks
arc07693

I just read that it's not possible to install any OS older than the one that was on it when it left the factory.

Apparently, this iMac only supports Panther and Tiger. (I think it might be one of those OS X-only models, that's not to say Jaguar isn't OS X, but it's an older OS, more around the OS 9 era.)

It's a shame. I love Jaguar.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Ah that makes total sense. I should have caught that my self but on the older Macs sometimes I forget just which version of OSX they shipped with.

That is right, an older version than what came with it will not work.

Jaguar was excellent for it's time but you would find that no newer software will run. Safari is so old many sites will not even load and finding an old Firefox for Jag is a Pain. You are much better off with especially Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems formatting iMac | Apple Mail Problem »