New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can't delete or reformat bootcamp partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

v3nustas

v3nustas is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 3.06 GHz - 4 GB DDR3 ram - '08 MB 8GB ram - iPhone 3g (cracked screen D: )

I'm having a problem with my Windows 7 partition with Bootcamp. I wanted to delete the partition to reinstall a larger partition and reinstall Windows. However...when I run bootcamp assistant to remove the windows partition, says "The disk is not journaled" and bootcamp assistant cannot be used. I open Disk Utilities, select my windows/bootcamp partition (which is grayed out on left tab and says its "unmounted"). I cannot erase it because it tries and says "Volume Erase Failed...POSIX reports: the operation couldn't be completed. Resource busy"

Any help would be great. If I restart and hold Alt to choose windows/mac to start into...only Mac is listed now. I just want to get rid of the 2nd partition on my main disk and start over with Bootcamp.

Thanks!

--This is not the signature you're looking for--
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Boot the machine with your original install DVD and run Disk Utility from the DVD. By using Disk Utility you can remove the partition and reset the disk.

Also for future reference, it's not necessary to remove the BC partition in order to make it larger. Just use CampTune.
QUOTE Thanks
v3nustas

Mac Specs: 27" 3.06 GHz - 4 GB DDR3 ram - '08 MB 8GB ram - iPhone 3g (cracked screen D: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Boot the machine with your original install DVD and run Disk Utility from the DVD. By using Disk Utility you can remove the partition and reset the disk.

Also for future reference, it's not necessary to remove the BC partition in order to make it larger. Just use CampTune.
Just making sure...this won't affect/reformat my main Drive/mac partition, no?

thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
v3nustas

Ok, figured that out and I erased the partition by booting from OSX disk. However, the actual partition still exists. When I open and try to run Bootcamp Assistant to re-do the entire process of installing Windows...I get the following pop up error...

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journal) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

I have no clue what that means or what step to take next.

Any help would be great...again haha.

thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yeah, unfortunately that means erasing the disk, formatting, and starting over.

Do this: Make a Time Machine backup of all your data. Boot again with your install disk and use Disk Utility to erase the drive, format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme. Name the drive MacIntosh HD.

Reinstall OS X, but as you proceed you'll be asked if you would like to migrate or restore data from Time Machine. Respond OK. Make sure your Time Machine external drive is attached and it will restore automatically.

After restoring, reboot and run Boot Camp again. It should work this time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Erased the HD and Now I can't install Lion!! | Using Boot Camp for Windows 7 »