New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Locked out of user account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Danny_Boy_Maste

Danny_Boy_Maste is on a distinguished road

Hi, guys,

Earlier today I had somewhat of a brain explosion. Yes, I deleted my "private" folder in the hope of freeing up some of the 20GB it was taking up. Silly, I know. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. And besides 20GB!

So. After some forum-prowling I discovered the best and essentially the only course of action considering my mac wouldn't get past the grey logo-screen was to re-install OSX via DVD, which I've done and now I'm back up and running.. with one small problem.

I can't access my old and cherished user account. This is going to have most of you tut-tutting, but I've never been a Time Machine user and as such it would seem I can't use migration assistant to hook back into my old user profile. However, all my stuff is still there the movies, documents, everything. But my old user folder is not being recognised as such; instead, it's just a regular folder (which means it's not picked up in the "Users" pane of system preferences) and all the sub-folders are locked.

All my stuff is there there is the exact same amount of space on my hard disk as there was before this fiasco. All my applications are still installed and functional from what I can tell.

Can anyone tell me how can I get my precious user profile (not to mention all my documents) back?

Many thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Hope this will help:
Mac OS X: How to recover a home folder (directory)
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Restoring a deleted user account
QUOTE Thanks
Danny_Boy_Maste

Thanks for the tip.. but there is no "deleted users" folder. In fact, my original user is still sitting in the root "Users" folder but not being recognised as such.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

If your account no longer appears in the System Preferences->Accounts pane, create a new user, check the box to make it an administrator, make sure the short name is identical to the name of your folder in /Users, and the system should prompt you "A folder by that name already exists. Do you want to link it to this account?" Click Yes, and it should absorb your home folder and set you up again.
QUOTE Thanks
Danny_Boy_Maste

Good idea! The only problem is that I can't seem to create my old username because it has spaces in it (Danny Boy Master). When I try creating a new username, it won't allow spaces (DannyBoyMaster) and underscores don't work either. Eek! Is there a way I can change this afterward, i.e not through System Prefs?
QUOTE Thanks
Danny_Boy_Maste

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
If your account no longer appears in the System Preferences->Accounts pane, create a new user, check the box to make it an administrator, make sure the short name is identical to the name of your folder in /Users, and the system should prompt you "A folder by that name already exists. Do you want to link it to this account?" Click Yes, and it should absorb your home folder and set you up again.
Even if I could work out the spacing issue, I've done a test by setting up two identical accounts, and it just says "This username is taken". Nothing about fantastic absorbtion. Ah! This is getting a tad desperate. Any other ideas, team?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Concern that my macbook has been hacked or has a virus | Mail box load slow »