New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.7 - Problem installing Lion on formatted mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

even_nilsen

even_nilsen is on a distinguished road

I recently formatted my computer, can not find my snow leopard dvd that followed my macbook that i bought aprox 1 year ago..

So i bought the OS X lion memory stick from applestore..

First time i tried it started installing, it was working for a while, until i got the message that there was a problem under installing, please try again. It does not say specific what the problem was, so im a bit confused.

I tried several times, rebooting and restarting the installation, but it seems to crash straight away, giving me the same message, when i try again now..

In the install log there are three error lines:

Quoting parts of it:
OSInstaller [337] "Bookmark failed to issue extension for item (depht=4000): no such file or directory"

OSInstaller[337] Failed to locate volume with UUID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

OSInstaller[337] Couldnt find the Mac OS (Server) install data)

i do not know if these are relevant at all..
There are also other errors in the log, but i dont think they are relevant.

It is a macbook pro 15"
Intel i7
8gb ram
2010 model

Clues on how to reset the computer completely would be helpful..
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by even_nilsen View Post
I recently formatted my computer, can not find my snow leopard dvd that followed my macbook that i bought aprox 1 year ago..

So i bought the OS X lion memory stick from applestore..

First time i tried it started installing, it was working for a while, until i got the message that there was a problem under installing, please try again. It does not say specific what the problem was, so im a bit confused.

I tried several times, rebooting and restarting the installation, but it seems to crash straight away, giving me the same message, when i try again now..

In the install log there are three error lines:

Quoting parts of it:
OSInstaller [337] "Bookmark failed to issue extension for item (depht=4000): no such file or directory"

OSInstaller[337] Failed to locate volume with UUID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

OSInstaller[337] Couldnt find the Mac OS (Server) install data)

i do not know if these are relevant at all..
There are also other errors in the log, but i dont think they are relevant.

It is a macbook pro 15"
Intel i7
8gb ram
2010 model

Clues on how to reset the computer completely would be helpful..
Just curious, how did you format the Mac HD without the OS Disk?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
even_nilsen

Ok..

I downloaded a version with the intention of buying it if i liked it..

Burned it, mounted, formatted, found out it wasnt working..

Have learned my lesson, had to buy a physical version at a much higher price...

Now i am trying to install a legit and paid for version, so please, help a repenting sinner.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Not having seen the Lion install media. But is should be like previous installs. Just before you start the install you should be able to format our drive and then do the install. Check all of your drop down menus.

Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
even_nilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Not having seen the Lion install media. But is should be like previous installs. Just before you start the install you should be able to format our drive and then do the install. Check all of your drop down menus.

Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.
Correct..
I am able to format it again..

But it seems that some is still left, for example, the internet password is still remembered..

And it seems that the install starts right where it stopped, even after formatting it all over...

How do you even restart the install?

Is rebooting restarting?
If yes, why do i encounter the problem immidieatly on the reboot, when the problem initially shown itself some time into the installation proscess the first time?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I am stating the obvious, but just in case, you need to make sure you are booting from the USB Stick.
Power on your Mac and immediatetly hold down the option key.

Starting from an external USB storage device (Intel-based Macs)

EDIT: We had a thread some time back where the OP had a problem with a failed Windows/Bootcamp install that was hanging like yours. I will look for it and see if anything in it is applicable to your situation.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
even_nilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I am stating the obvious
indeed..

I get into the install menu, and the installing process window appears for 3-5 seconds..

The first time it was working for at least 10 min into the installation process..

Guess i should try to call apple support tomorrow..

Noone has a clue at all?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
indeed..

I get into the install menu, and the installing process window appears for 3-5 seconds..

The first time it was working for at least 10 min into the installation process..

Guess i should try to call apple support tomorrow..

Noone has a clue at all?
Sorry, but you wouldn't believe the things we run into, so have to ask to obvious to be certain . . . But, no, the only other thing I could suggest would be to give another look for your Snow Leopard disks . . . But that's obvious too . . .
Hope things turn out OK and let us know.

QUOTE Thanks
even_nilsen

This is what i hate about mac..
its to fancy..
if this had been a PC i probably would have got this insane error message that i could have googled..

Have to take a look after my snow leopard discs i guess, and give apple a call tomorrow if i dont find anything..

Ill update here when i get it up and running again..

@Razormac, thank you for your dedication

And to everyone else,, im open to every suggestion!
QUOTE Thanks
even_nilsen

Update:

Called Apple support today

Seems that Lion USB wont work, when you dont have Snow Leopard. (mine is formatted)
They told me i had to buy a new version of Snow Leopard (cant find my install dvd).

1 Question though, why couldnt they send me a version, and charge me for delivery and a "shame on you for loosing your dvd" fee? They have my serial number, and know that i am a legit owner of a mac with snow leopard..

The easiest is just borrowing the install dvd from a friend, i guess.. Think it'll work, ill at least try before i go and buy a new version..
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Update:

Called Apple support today

Seems that Lion USB wont work, when you dont have Snow Leopard. (mine is formatted)
They told me i had to buy a new version of Snow Leopard (cant find my install dvd).
Dont understand this, as i made a Lion USB and did a clean install on 1 partition on my Ext HDD. Something is a miss there.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
egieswein

egieswein is on a distinguished road

I just went through this myself, after a failed install onto a defective SSD, after replacing the disk, and rerunning the installer, it began to fail with the same error as the original post in this thread.

The solution turns out to be quite simple, the installer app sets a value in PRAM specifying the target UUID. Resetting the PRAM (see: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM) allowed me to install onto the new SSD without issue
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.5 download | "uTorrent-Mac-26576.dmg" failed to mount due to error 95. (no mountable file systems) »