New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Encrypting TM backup causes Lion to act weird and freeze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paediater

paediater is on a distinguished road

Hi, folks,

Do you Lioners encrypt your TM backups on external drives? I did so recently, and when I plugged in my drive (640 total, 400 for TM, 240 for data) next time to make next backup, TM freezed on "Preparing backup..." and CPU usage by kernel_task went up to 100%, thus making system bogged down. There were no way to stop backup and unmount disk properly — when I tried to do so, system partly freezed, programs refused to start, restart failed and so on. Hard reset (holding Power button) helped; I then tried to erase my backup and re-make it, and the same thing happened again when I plugged in the drive second time.

I searched the web and found this discussion, and when I decided to made unencrypted backup, I encounter weird behavior of Disk Utility as well — it renamed partition from Time Machine to disk2s2 and failed to mount it or erase it; when I deleted both partitions and tried to make one of 640 Gb, it made 400 Gb named disk2s2 instead. Eventually, I won and made backup without encryption, which works fine.

Any ideas on what was that? I have the feeling that Lion doesn't work with encrypted drives properly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari/address http disappeared | Mac Mail Signature Format Problem »