New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I'm still using SNOW LEOPARD......

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BobS63

BobS63 is on a distinguished road

I'M still happy using OSX Snow Leopard on my Intel IMAC and would like
to upgrade to LION but can anyone tell me what are some good things about
Lion? ( MacLife magazine says there are 250 new improvements). One is the
apps that are displayed on the desktop ????

The magazine also says I might want to wait till OSX LION.1 is offered and
a thumb drive loaded with LION.1 is ready for sale. (Or is the mag just
kidding ?)

BobS63
Houston,Texas
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

No, you can buy Lion on a flash drive at the apple online store. Shop Online at the Apple Store - Apple Store (U.S.)

The apps on the desktop isn't really on the desktop, think if it like a Dashboard for all you application that opens with a gesture or key command.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I wonder if they are talking about LaunchPad? If so, it's like IOS on the iPhone and iPad. Apps on the desktop. You don't need to use it that way though.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Here's a list of the 250 new features. It will be up to you to decide if that's worth it.

10.7.1 is already out if that's a concern for you. It's also, as noted above, available on a flash drive if you so choose (it's much cheaper to get it through the App Store though).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Moved to correct forum. Not a subject for "iOS and Apps".
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

I would wait and install Lion after Apple release a major update for it repairing some of the issues that Lion has. Both of my 27" iMacs crash with Lion. Both run perfect with Snow Leopard. But my 17" MBP runs good with Lion. It does seem a little slower, but that may just be me. I do like the look and feel of Lion on my MBP and will reinstall it on my iMacs once Apple release the next update. Just so you know, I installed as a upgrade and then installed as a clean install, but both iMacs would randomly crash and almost always crash on you tube.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

I have a 2006 core duo imac, got it on craigslist for $150.00, the way it works i think i stole it for that price, but when i got it it had tiger on it. recentally my friend gave me his retail copy of snow leopard and i installed it as an upgrade... seems to me that the imac runs even faster running snow leopard. if you like snow leopard i would just keep it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I agree with G4ibookboy's conclusion. But, Lion is only $29 - so it there are a couple of things on that list you find appealing, go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

i dont think my core duo can run lion yet
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That is correct. Lion requires "an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor" (source).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wondering if i should do a clean install | Deleted Preference in Library »