New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine Help!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macobsession

macobsession is on a distinguished road

so i have a 13 inch mid 2007 white macbook. It is fine and has no problems. I am currently running the latest version of lion. I have a freecom mobile drive classic ll 250GB external hard drive, which has had no problems until recently. It has been around 44/45 days since my last backup, so i just plugged it in, the external hard drive makes its noise and the light is flashing. On my computer the time machine icon doesn't come up on my desktop, and when i press backup time machine, it says it can't find time machine!!! I don't know what to do?? I have loads of music, a few movies that i bought off of iTunes, and loads of files. Please Help Me SO I Can Recover Them!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Something doesn't make sense here. If this is a Time Machine backup drive, you haven't any need to recover anything. Your files are still sitting on your internal hard drive where they've always been. Worst case scenario is that you have to buy a new backup drive.

Have you looked at the external drive in Disk Utility? It might just need a verify/repair permissions & verify/repair disk, under the First Aid tab. Hopefully once you've done that, it will start working again for backups.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
macobsession

Thanks i will try that, but i have deleted file off of my computer as i was running out of disk space
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macobsession View Post
Thanks i will try that, but i have deleted file off of my computer as i was running out of disk space
OK, that's not such a good idea, because it defeats the point of having a *backup*. Essentially, your redundant copy is now gone and the file is only stored in one place and subject to hardware failure (and all hard disks will fail, it's not a question of "if", but "when").

Macs like plenty of free space on the system drive. So, if you're in a situation where you're close to running out of space, the machine will start to bog down even after you clean it up. The best solution is to upgrade to a roomier internal hard disk. That should be your next order of business, assuming you can recover the Time Machine drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
macobsession

disk utility couldn't repair the hard drive, so i don't know what to do now????
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by macobsession View Post
disk utility couldn't repair the hard drive, so i don't know what to do now????
When you say it "couldn't repair the hard drive", did it give you an error message? Or did it complete it's verification and repair, but the disk still didn't show up?

QUOTE Thanks
macobsession

It said error, but i have plugged in my external hard drive this morning to check it/Wipe it. And it showed up on my desktop!!! I was so relieved. Maybe my mac was just having a bad day or the repair disc worked!! Thanks for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NAS issue | Lion Mail keeps going off-line during sleep mode »