New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Won't Stay in 64-bit Mode...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MEZLEY

MEZLEY is on a distinguished road

I just got around to upgrading to Snow Leopard, (I know-late to the party). My MacBook won't go into 64-bit mode let alone stay there. I tried logging in as the Root Admin and trying the terminal line trick so that it always boots to 64...no luck there. Every time I reboot and check "about this Mac" in the software section is says 64-bit kernel and extentions: NO

Any advice?

Unibody MacBook 5,1 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

all up to date on software and firmware. I have 8 gigs of RAM on order, not that it much now but beats buying a new laptop right now.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Snow Leopard is designed to boot into 32 bit mode, however, it will run those apps designed for 64 bit mode as 64 bit apps. You can hold down the 6 and 4 keys as you boot and that will put Snow Leopard in 64 bit mode but as soon as you reboot, it will default back to 32 bit.

If you want your OS to remain in 64 bit mode all the time, switch to Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

sorry to hijack the thread - does that mean that Lion defaults to 64 bit mode?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I donno, I did set my MBP (Same as yours) to boot with 64bit while I was still on Snow Leopard and it worked fine even with reboots.

Code:
sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64
Code:
sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
sorry to hijack the thread - does that mean that Lion defaults to 64 bit mode?
As far as I know, yes. I have several "Other" preference panels that only work in 32 bit mode. Whenever I invoke one, Lion tells me it will have to reboot System Preferences and open it in 32 bit mode.

Also, Lion requires a 64 bit capable CPU before it will install. (Core 2 Duo or better.)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I donno, I did set my MBP (Same as yours) to boot with 64bit while I was still on Snow Leopard and it worked fine even with reboots.
Note - the OP is using a Uni body MacBook not MBP.

The terminal commands you show should keep it in 64 bit mode. I don't know if those are what the OP used though. However, booting with the 6 and 4 keys held down is a one time shot only.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

uname -a would imply that I am running an x86 version of Lion:
Quote:
~ :: uname -a
Darwin Illuminatis-MacBook.local 11.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:09:02 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.22.81~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
A look at kernel-task in Activity Monitor will also show that it isn't a 64-bit app. So, it would seem that Apple is continuing the slow march to full 64-bit support.

(Yes, my Mac is called Illuminatis-MacBook - don't let that secret out).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MEZLEY

MEZLEY is on a distinguished road

Thank You's to the responses. Sure enough vansmith...looked in Activity Monitor and it is showing 64-bit...even after a few reboots for software updates.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac will not turn on | diskutil error volume format does not support resizing. »