New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder wants to make changes.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ashwinkhandwala

ashwinkhandwala is on a distinguished road

Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.

Mac lion os x.

The above message comes when you try to change the name of folder or files.

Please help to remove this message.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

This happens so you don't change something unexpectedly. The way to get rid of the message is to put in your password.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
ashwinkhandwala

Thanks.
But if I dont want this message what do I do? I am Using Lion Os x.

Please help
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Sorry ill explain it better for you then.
By Default there are certain system files/folders that you can't change things or delete them without putting in your Admin Password.

What sort of files are they ??

Now if it isn't a System file/folder you will need to change the Permissions to it.
Right click the file/folder the 'get info' and see what the permissions are set for.

Hope that helps a little more.

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
ashwinkhandwala

I am trying to change the name of a folder which is an ordinary folder not a system folder. If any folder's name I try to change it asks for password. for deletion it does not ask for it. This happened after I upgraded to Lion Os x.
Thanks and Please help
QUOTE Thanks
ashwinkhandwala

Also I checked tin info of the folders all permission are there for Read and write.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Did you make a hard copy of Lion ??

If not all good. But i would try Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility.
Open Du and select yourHD in the left column. Make sure the First Aid tab is clicked then hit Repair Permissions. Sit back have a coffee. Don't worry about the log window with all the errors. Once done log out then back in and see what happens.
HTH

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
ashwinkhandwala

I did that.
It did not work.
Then I booted with boot able disk.
Again restarted in normal manner.
Created new user account and tried but failed.
Deleted the user account.
Disabled the root in directory option.
Changed name of the user and gave the same name (I think but not sure) as it was before I had upgraded to lion.

And surprisingly now it works. I have no idea which part did the trick.

Earlier I could not rename the principal folders which were in Macintosh hard drive. However, the files and folders in side those folders I could rename.

Thanks for your timely help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to connect via Airport Express. | Hard drive full warning when not even close to full !!! »