New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

uninstalling mac store demo software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

h_finstrom

h_finstrom is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook with the store demo software on it. evertime you reset it it reverts all the settings back to how they were in the store and deletes all downloaded programs. can anyone please help me delete this and restore the computer permanently.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like you need to take it back to the Apple Store. If they sold you a floor model, it doesn't sound as though they prepped it for you properly.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

I want to know how to do it my self. I'm sure its somewhere in the terminal commands?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_finstrom View Post
I want to know how to do it my self. I'm sure its somewhere in the terminal commands?
It just seems odd to me that an Apple Store would sell a floor model this way. Can you tell us a bit more about how you came across this machine?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

yes i purchased it on craigslist. I wasn't aware mac sold floor models.
QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

anyway back to my question. you have almost 22,00 posts you must know something about this?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

If it didn't come with the original OS discs, I'd say there's not much you're going to be able to do with it. I'd also be more than a little concerned that it's "hot".

QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

It did come with the disks. Why do you think it would be stolen. Can't they trace them anyway?

13'' MacBook Pro
2 ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram
250 HD
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

If it came with the original discs, then my concerns are unfounded. Assuming something hasn't been done to prevent the machine from being booted from the system discs, I would do a clean install of the OS.

Pop in System Disc 1, turn the machine off. Turn the machine back on, press and hold the Option key. Continue holding it until you see the disc pop up as an available boot device.

Boot from the disc, the installer will start. Proceed through the first few prompts until you see the Menu bar appear at the top of the screen. Click the Utilities menu, choose "Disk Utility". Select Macintosh HD from the left window pane, then choose the Erase tab. Proceed to erase the disk. When this is complete, you can continue to run through the install.

That ought to do the trick. Disc 2 will contain the iLife suite and optional installs. Good luck and sorry for jumping to conclusions, it just sounded a bit suspect to me.

QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

indeed it does. no worries. and thanks for the help.

13'' MacBook Pro
2 ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram
250 HD
QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

indeed it does. no worries. and thanks for the help. is there any way to do it using terminal commands

13'' MacBook Pro
2 ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram
250 HD
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's as easy as issuing some terminal commands. If it was, I'd bet you'd see a fair number of Macs in the Apple Store hacked

QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

I'm attempting to do it and i cant get past the mac os x utilities screen

13'' MacBook Pro
2 ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram
250 HD
QUOTE Thanks
h_finstrom

still no luck guys I'm trying it via usb thumb drive and it won't pop up only mac hd and recovery hd. i reinstalled and it still had the demo software on there

13'' MacBook Pro
2 ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram
250 HD
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Boot from the Recovery HD and then follow the screen prompts, it should have an option somewhere to reinstall the OS.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Repair OSX Leopard with OSX Lion | Auto login issue »