Thread: SMART Status

SMART Status

Specs:
    n/a
    SMART Status
    Hello,
    I received this message stating S.M.A.R.T. Status: Failing.
    I've backed up as much as possible and have bought a replacement 2TB disk Western Digital ready to swap over. My question is....
    It's been in the state for 3 weeks or more and it all seems just fine?? Could this be an incorrect reading? I'm glad, however of the pre-warning!

iMac Intel 24"
    320gb HDD

Thanks

SMART Status
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    if you use it everyday for around 4 to 5 yrs its not uncommon for hard drives to die some last longer some die a lot sooner.

SMART Status
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    SMART does not tell fibs so be ready to change the hard drive as it is on the way out. You might like to pop the new drive in an external case and clone with CCC or SuperDuper, and then transfer it to the iMac.

Not the easiest job in the world either alas.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

SMART Status

Specs:
    n/a
    Hmmm, didn't think it would be fibbing.... lol
    OK, I'll try cloning and see how long it will last. It's coming up to 4 weeks now....maybe a record????

SMART Status
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    If it is taking that long I would be afraid whatever it copied may be corrupted.

SMART Status

Specs:
    n/a
    Hello again, The status remains as failing but seems to be working all ok. It's been like this since September. I'm ready now with a WD 20EARS 2TB disk drive. I've been backing it up nearly every day since I first got this reading using TIME MACHINE. Before I take the screen off etc and replace the HD should I be doing anything else. I couldn't bear to lose anything from the HD. Will TM be enough? Thanks in advance.

SMART Status
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAIGYBABES View Post
    Hello again, The status remains as failing but seems to be working all ok. It's been like this since September. I'm ready now with a WD 20EARS 2TB disk drive. I've been backing it up nearly every day since I first got this reading using TIME MACHINE. Before I take the screen off etc and replace the HD should I be doing anything else. I couldn't bear to lose anything from the HD. Will TM be enough? Thanks in advance.
    The easiest thing to do would be to connect the replacement drive to an external adapter (you can get just a USB adapter for the bare drive, or you can buy an external enclosure), then use a program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact clone of the disk onto the new one. Then, simply install the drive and you're good to go.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

SMART Status

Specs:
    n/a
    Oh OK, you mean something like this...http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-A.../dp/B001A5SK56
    Is it as simple as plugging it in and letting SuperDuper copy it over and then fitting the HDD into my mac? No techie stuff to do i.e. jumper settings etc. Cheers

SMART Status
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAIGYBABES View Post
    Oh OK, you mean something like this...IOMAX USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Is it as simple as plugging it in and letting SuperDuper copy it over and then fitting the HDD into my mac? No techie stuff to do i.e. jumper settings etc. Cheers
    Yes and yes. There are no jumper settings needed for SATA hard drives.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

SMART Status

Specs:
    n/a
    Nice one, thanks. Fingers crossed then hey!

SMART Status

Specs:
    n/a
    Thanks for all your help guys. I've successfully opened up my imac, replaced the 320gb hd for a 2.0TB WD HD, hoovered it out and put it back together again. I formatted the drive, reinstalled mac os and restored from Time Machine. It's all up and running perfectly with all my photos, music, documents and even my bookmarks, emails etc fully restored! I am over the moon.

SMART Status
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Pat yourself on the back as one of the few who (albeit slowly) acted before the inevitable happened.

Thread Information