New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

SMART Status

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CRAIGYBABES

CRAIGYBABES is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: n/a

Hello,
I received this message stating S.M.A.R.T. Status: Failing.
I've backed up as much as possible and have bought a replacement 2TB disk Western Digital ready to swap over. My question is....
It's been in the state for 3 weeks or more and it all seems just fine?? Could this be an incorrect reading? I'm glad, however of the pre-warning!

iMac Intel 24"
320gb HDD

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

if you use it everyday for around 4 to 5 yrs its not uncommon for hard drives to die some last longer some die a lot sooner.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

SMART does not tell fibs so be ready to change the hard drive as it is on the way out. You might like to pop the new drive in an external case and clone with CCC or SuperDuper, and then transfer it to the iMac.

Not the easiest job in the world either alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
CRAIGYBABES

Hmmm, didn't think it would be fibbing.... lol
OK, I'll try cloning and see how long it will last. It's coming up to 4 weeks now....maybe a record????
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If it is taking that long I would be afraid whatever it copied may be corrupted.
QUOTE Thanks
CRAIGYBABES

Hello again, The status remains as failing but seems to be working all ok. It's been like this since September. I'm ready now with a WD 20EARS 2TB disk drive. I've been backing it up nearly every day since I first got this reading using TIME MACHINE. Before I take the screen off etc and replace the HD should I be doing anything else. I couldn't bear to lose anything from the HD. Will TM be enough? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGYBABES View Post
Hello again, The status remains as failing but seems to be working all ok. It's been like this since September. I'm ready now with a WD 20EARS 2TB disk drive. I've been backing it up nearly every day since I first got this reading using TIME MACHINE. Before I take the screen off etc and replace the HD should I be doing anything else. I couldn't bear to lose anything from the HD. Will TM be enough? Thanks in advance.
The easiest thing to do would be to connect the replacement drive to an external adapter (you can get just a USB adapter for the bare drive, or you can buy an external enclosure), then use a program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact clone of the disk onto the new one. Then, simply install the drive and you're good to go.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CRAIGYBABES

Oh OK, you mean something like this...http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-A.../dp/B001A5SK56
Is it as simple as plugging it in and letting SuperDuper copy it over and then fitting the HDD into my mac? No techie stuff to do i.e. jumper settings etc. Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGYBABES View Post
Oh OK, you mean something like this...IOMAX USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Is it as simple as plugging it in and letting SuperDuper copy it over and then fitting the HDD into my mac? No techie stuff to do i.e. jumper settings etc. Cheers
Yes and yes. There are no jumper settings needed for SATA hard drives.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CRAIGYBABES

Nice one, thanks. Fingers crossed then hey!
QUOTE Thanks
CRAIGYBABES

Thanks for all your help guys. I've successfully opened up my imac, replaced the 320gb hd for a 2.0TB WD HD, hoovered it out and put it back together again. I formatted the drive, reinstalled mac os and restored from Time Machine. It's all up and running perfectly with all my photos, music, documents and even my bookmarks, emails etc fully restored! I am over the moon.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Pat yourself on the back as one of the few who (albeit slowly) acted before the inevitable happened.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do get internet explorer to run on mac computer? | Maintenance »