New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Changing default user/account name on Mac OS X 10.6?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

patrickwilver

patrickwilver is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro at my place of work that was bought for an earlier intern who set up the computer. She made all the account information as her name.

Now, I have changed the name of the computer (System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name) and I have edited the names and information within the Accounts section (System Preferences > Accounts > My Account). However, the previous interns name continues to auto-populate in the "Name" field every time I try to unlock a setting or authenticate anything on the computer.

My question is: how do I change this name to match my new username information that I changed under the Accounts settings? And if I have changed all this information, why is this old name still popping up?

I've been at this for hours... please help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Here is the official method for changing the name: Apple KB Article

But let me give you a note of warning before you attempt it. If the above is not done correctly you will lose access to your data and possibly not be able to recover. The smart thing to do is first back up everything by using Time Machine or cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

And... do not cross post. Your cross post has been removed. Only post to one forum and continue posting back to the same thread. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
patrickwilver

patrickwilver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
And... do not cross post. Your cross post has been removed. Only post to one forum and continue posting back to the same thread. Thanks.
I know. I realized I posted in the wrong place, so I posted it in the right place and tried to delete the first post to no success. All it would let me do was edit it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat works for a while then disconnects | Help me use Lion Server effectively »