New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot delete files that are on my mac desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeffpnc

jeffpnc is on a distinguished road

Problem: I have four files that I cannot delete on my desktop. They are files that I downloaded (see screenshot picture). I cannot drag these files (they don't move). I have tried to delete by using Terminal with the sudo rm -rf command. I have tried to drag into Terminal but the files don't move. I have copied the files (which works) and tried pasting in Terminal, but they I get an message in Terminal as follows:

sam:.Trash jeffpeckham$ sudo rm -rf August 28, 2011.pdf.part
sam:.Trash jeffpeckham$ August 28, 2011.pdf
-bash: August: command not found
sam:.Trash jeffpeckham$ ALTO SAX CH#807 My Country Tis Of Thee.pdf.part
-bash: ALTO: command not found
sam:.Trash jeffpeckham$ ALTO SAX CH#807 My Country Tis Of Thee.pdf
-bash: ALTO: command not found
sam:.Trash jeffpeckham$ sudo rm -rfAugust 28, 2011.pdf.part

Anyone with any ideas? I can't figure this one out to save me.

Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-09-06 at 1.55.11 PM.png (37.2 KB, 33 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Do this
Code:
# ls -l *.part
If this shows you JUST the files you are interested in deleting, then follow with
Code:
# rm -rf *.part
That should delete these files. You can also delete individual files by putting the file name is quotes, so it would be "August 28, 2011.pdf.part" for the first one..

If you get permission issues, you might have to prefix the above "rm -rf" command with "sudo", so it looks like "sudo rm -rf *.part"..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestions. Nothing happened. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Here is a copy of my Terminal Session:

Last login: Tue Sep 6 14:12:07 on ttys000
sam:~ jeffpeckham$ # 1s -1 *.part
sam:~ jeffpeckham$ # rm -rf *.part
sam:~ jeffpeckham$ # rm -rf "August 28, 2011.pdf.part"
sam:~ jeffpeckham$ # 1s -1 "August 28, 2011.pdf.part"
sam:~ jeffpeckham$ sudo rm -rf "August 28, 2011.pdf.part"
sam:~ jeffpeckham$ sudo rm -rf August 28, 2011.pdf.part
sam:~ jeffpeckham$
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You should run the commands without the # in front of them..and the first command is "el" "es", minus "el" ..those are not the number 1..

After your 5th command, did you check to see if the August 28, 2011.pdf.part is still on the Desktop?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

Thanks for your reply again. I tried "l" instead of number "1". I did it for the first command as follows, but it did not find the file:

Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Pro:~ jeffpeckham$ ls -l *.part
ls: *.part: No such file or directory
Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Pro:~ jeffpeckham$
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That's because you're working in your home directory - this is what the ~ symbolizes. Execute the following to change your working directory to the Desktop:
Code:
cd ~/Desktop

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

Ok. Thanks for clarification. I am working in Desktop now through Terminal. Here is what I got:
Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Proesktop jeffpeckham$ ls -l August 28, 2011.pdf.part
ls: 2011.pdf.part: No such file or directory
ls: 28,: No such file or directory
ls: August: No such file or directory

Is this saying there is a problem since I have spaces in the file name? Didn't delete it after trying.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is because there are spaces which either need to be escaped or accommodated for by wrapping the filename in quotation marks.

So, do one of the following with the filename:
Code:
ls -l August\ 28,\ 2011.pdf.part
or
Code:
ls -l "August 28, 2011.pdf.part"

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but the files did not delete. I got this:

Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Proesktop jeffpeckham$ ls -l August\ 28,\ 2011.pdf.part
ls: August 28, 2011.pdf.part: No such file or directory
Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Proesktop jeffpeckham$ ls -l "August 28, 2011.pdf.part"
ls: August 28, 2011.pdf.part: No such file or directory
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What is printed back when you execute the following:
Code:
ls -la

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Proesktop jeffpeckham$ ls -la
total 88
drwx------+ 4 jeffpeckham staff 136 Sep 6 21:36 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 34 jeffpeckham staff 1156 Aug 31 14:43 ..
-rw-------@ 1 jeffpeckham staff 43012 Sep 6 21:36 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r-- 1 jeffpeckham staff 0 Feb 22 2011 .localized
Jeff-Peckhams-MacBook-Proesktop jeffpeckham$
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Those results would suggest that the files aren't there and thus, the Desktop doesn't seem to be refreshing properly. Have you rebooted the machine since?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

It worked! I rebooted and the files are not on my desktop anymore. Only problem is, I wish I knew which of the above solutions worked. I am guessing that I was to reboot the system after each try? Thanks to all who helped me through this. Amazing forum!
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Ok... instead of starting a new thread because a "search" didn't work but deleting seems to be MY problem....

If I right-click and select Delete or Send to Trash I'm required to type in my password for everything. I'm getting pretty annoyed by this. How do I stop this from happening? I'm the admin.... Running Lion
QUOTE Thanks
jeffpnc

I saw this post on mac forum:
Finder requires password to delete any file from Macintosh HD

Maybe this will help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cpu help! | Macbook - Spinning Wheel/Slow Response »