New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

reclaiming my bootcamp partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joegamer95

joegamer95 is on a distinguished road

So a few months ago i had windows installed on bootcamp, with a partition of 20 GB. I tried getting rid of the partition via disk utility, which i then learned makes it impossible to actually reclaim the partition space since you can only do that via bootcamp assistant. I found out that that the only way to reclaim the space is to reinstall snow leopard, but i've since lost the installation disc.

If I install Lion via mac store, is there some way I can reclaim the disk space?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
If I install Lion via mac store, is there some way I can reclaim the disk space?
Yes, if you remove the BC partition, make the drive into one partition, erase it completely, and install Lion clean. Best bet is to replace the missing Snow Leopard DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegamer95 View Post
So a few months ago i had windows installed on bootcamp, with a partition of 20 GB. I tried getting rid of the partition via disk utility, which i then learned makes it impossible to actually reclaim the partition space since you can only do that via bootcamp assistant. I found out that that the only way to reclaim the space is to reinstall snow leopard, but i've since lost the installation disc.

You don't have to re-install but you do need to be able to boot from the SL disc to access Disk Utility that way.

Is there a disc you could borrow just to run Disk Utility from?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
joegamer95

joegamer95 is on a distinguished road

No there isn't unfortunately, I'm new to area where I'm living right now

I'm upgrading to Lion soon, is there any way I can just restore + reinstall that?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You can (as suggested by chscag) do a clean install by making a bootable Lion disc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Ok, yes. Last post was September, but I do have a follow-up question in regards to this exact question.

I am getting ready to replace the last piece of software that I required Win7 Bootcamp for. Once that happens, I want to reclaim my 100GB Bootcamp partition. If what I read above is correct, I would need to boot with my SL (Lion was not out when I bought my MBP) and run the disk utility. My question is this, since I have upgraded to Lion, I have the Recovery Partition that is in my Boot List when I hold down Opt. Will that work the same way as using the SL boot disk?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It should work the same way. But be careful.... I'm not certain it will do the job non-destructively. In other words, without harming any data on the OS X partition. But you're savvy enough to know that making a backup before attempting any kind of hard drive maneuvering is a must.
QUOTE Thanks
Braxoyd

Braxoyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes, if you remove the BC partition, make the drive into one partition, erase it completely, and install Lion clean. Best bet is to replace the missing Snow Leopard DVD.
After erasing the install can be done from an external backup I would think?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxoyd View Post
After erasing the install can be done from an external backup I would think?
Yes, certainly. That's why we always recommend making a backup first before doing anything that could impact the data. I find Time Machine is the best way to do a full backup and have it on hand in case you need to restore. You could also use one of the two popular cloning programs: Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If you wish to remove the Bootcamp partition, simply go into utilities > Bootcamp Assistant > Continue > Remove Bootcamp and that is all that is necessary. Then Repair Permissions.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
If you wish to remove the Bootcamp partition, simply go into utilities > Bootcamp Assistant > Continue > Remove Bootcamp and that is all that is necessary. Then Repair Permissions.
Ok, so this will reclaim the space and allow me to have the whole hard drive back for OSX? Since I finally got rid of the last piece of software tying me to Windows 7, I want to pull it off the machine.

I do not, however, want to go back and redo my whole system from scratch, even with Time Machine being up to date.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that will remove the Bootcamp partition and show a single drive. it will not format the drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Did this last night, I am now back to having 500GB Macintosh HD rather than 400/100 split. Thanks!

Made me nervous, really didn't want to reinstall everything.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

My pleasure Deckyon. Not that difficult was it?

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

No, but considering re-partitioning to a single usually requires a full reimage, you see my hesitation. All is good, tho. All is good.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine Back Up - 15 Hours? | Question about my friends Macbook Pro »