New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing Mac OS on an old Powerbook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikekoz

mikekoz is on a distinguished road

I have an old Powerbook G4 that I was given, and I just replaced the hard drive. I have one problem....I do not have the operating system disks that came with it, or have any idea what version of Mac OS came with it. I do not think the person that gave me the laptop has them. Here is some more info about the laptop:

Model number: A1010
1.3ghz, 256mb ram, 12" screen, aluminum casing. From what I gather, this model is 8-10 years old.

I am also under the impression that operating system disks are no longer made for the Power PC's.

I am not very familiar with MAC's, so any help would be appreciated. I am just trying to figure out where to get the operating system for this laptop. I was able to get a version of OSx Tiger off the internet, but the system will not boot from it.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You need OS install disks. Check e-Bay. You probably would be best with a version of OS 10.4 or 10.5. Gonna cost you $75-$100. Don't buy gray/silver colored disks...you need black ones with a big X on them.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mikekoz

mikekoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You need OS install disks. Check e-Bay. You probably would be best with a version of OS 10.4 or 10.5. Gonna cost you $75-$100. Don't buy gray/silver colored disks...you need black ones with a big X on them.

- Nick
Thanks! Did not think of Ebay for some reason. However, that is more than the laptop is worth. I was thinking I could get them for about $20.00. One person is selling it for over $200.00. This laptop is old and obsolete and worth maybe $50.00 max. I appreciate your help, but I am just going to scrap this thing!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
Thanks! Did not think of Ebay for some reason. However, that is more than the laptop is worth. I was thinking I could get them for about $20.00. One person is selling it for over $200.00. This laptop is old and obsolete and worth maybe $50.00 max. I appreciate your help, but I am just going to scrap this thing!
Yes...that's the problem when folks are messing around with 8-10 year-old computers. The computer is worth a lot less than many things you can buy for it (hard drive upgrades, ram upgrades, OS install disks, replacement batteries, software, etc.).

When I suggested Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5...I was suggesting them because they're more "modern". But if you just want to get an OS to get it running...you can install as old as OS 10.2.7 on it. OS 10.3 may be a good choice. You should be able to get it for around $20-$30 but since it's an older version...you may not find as many for sale.

- Nick

p.s. Don't scrap it...I could certainly use it if you were going to scrap it!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hackntoshed my dell mini! | OSX Lion graphics driver fix for 2010 Macbook Pro? »