New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to reinstall the operating system ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SonyCosmos

SonyCosmos is on a distinguished road

Hi ... I found this laptop with Mac OS X 10.4.11 Darwin 8.11.0 operating system which has someone else user name which I can load but I have no interest in using someone else account . So I'm curious if their is a beginner guide in how to reinstall the OS ? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Maybe you should try and return the notebook to it's owner??

That's what I would do. Or better yet I would turn it over to the police who may have more sophisticated was to find the rightful owner. Most people don't leave their notebook lying around on purpose so I would assume it's wanted back.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
SonyCosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
Maybe you should try and return the notebook to it's owner??

That's what I would do. Or better yet I would turn it over to the police who may have more sophisticated was to find the rightful owner. Most people don't leave their notebook lying around on purpose so I would assume it's wanted back.
Dude, the guy put it in the garbage. How would I know this because that what I do for a living . I'm a garbageman for my city .The funny part this is my second laptop I have found within the last 2 months ... The other one is an HP which I am typing this post with . Beside its not like this laptop is worth much and it needs a new battery ... Maybe the guy didn't want to buy a new battery for a older laptop , who knows why he did what he did .
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Dude, maybe if you explained that to begin with it wouldn't sound like it was an absconded notebook!
Worth of the notebook would have no bearing on anything.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

First, you need an OS installation disc. 10.4 is Tiger, which will be hard to find. It will probably run 10.5 Leopard, which still can be found (eBay, etc.) put it's pricey. Maybe it will run 10.6 Snow Leopard, but you really need to look in About this Mac and post the specs. (apple > About this Mac)
QUOTE Thanks
SonyCosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
First, you need an OS installation disc. 10.4 is Tiger, which will be hard to find. It will probably run 10.5 Leopard, which still can be found (eBay, etc.) put it's pricey. Maybe it will run 10.6 Snow Leopard, but you really need to look in About this Mac and post the specs. (apple > About this Mac)
Hi ... Thanks for your respond. Its a little hard finding the actual specs for this model but this is what its got below

PPLE 12" POWERBOOK G4 1GHz 60GB Airport Bluetooth

Brand: Apple
Model: PowerBook G4
Processor: Power PC G4
Installed Memory: 512
Display: 12
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Darwin 8.11.0
Processor Speed: 1MHz
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Display Size: 12
Hard Drive Capacity: 60
Installed RAM: 512
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

That's a little short on RAM to run 10.5
You cannot run 10.6
QUOTE Thanks
SonyCosmos

ok thanks , Is their some sore of guide that explain how to reinstall 10.4 Tiger ? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Interregnum

Interregnum is on a distinguished road

You could put an older version of PPC Linux on it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyCosmos View Post
ok thanks , Is their some sore of guide that explain how to reinstall 10.4 Tiger ? Thanks
No, you don't need a guide. Put in the disc and follow the prompts. If you buy a Tiger or Leopard disc off of someone on eBay, be sure you're getting the full retail version. It will be black, with graphics on it. The grey discs only install on the model of Mac they shipped with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting a Keyboard Shortcut | Fullscreen problem with HDMI out: »