New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Which operating is the original for ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SonyCosmos

SonyCosmos is on a distinguished road

Hi ... I found this laptop in the garbage . I like to know what operating system it's original version is? When I click on About This Mac ? I see Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 , kernel version Darwin 8.11.0 .

This is a >> PowerBook G4 Aluminum 12" 1GHz 512mb ... Model A1010 ....

Appreciated any help you can provide , Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The info I have suggests that the PB G4 12" (model A1010) had an 867mhz processor, not a 1Ghz. Regardless, according to MacTracker, the A1010 shipped with 10.2.3.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Stick with Tiger, OS X.4.11 as it is much, much faster than Jaguar, the original install system. Download Onyx for PPC models to run maintenance chores, and it is always handy to have a copy of the Tiger install disc. Look for a black disc and do not buy a silbver/grey models that abound on auction sites.

These are strictly for use with the model they came with ONLY!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SonyCosmos

Thanks for your suggestions but I have no clue what 10.2.3. mean ? Can you please give the exact type so I can look it up on google . This is the first time using Apple so its all knew to me .

Again when I click on "About This Mac" it shows Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

Processor 1 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Startup Disk M

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I take back my original post - there is a 1Ghz PB G4, model A1010 that shipped with a 1Ghz processor. It initially shipped with OS X 10.2.7 but at some point, they started shipping them with OS X 10.3.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

It is Jaguar and is so old you should let it rest!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SonyCosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
It is Jaguar and is so old you should let it rest!
If that is the case I will do as you suggest . Which do you think I should install that is compatible with my specs ? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
SonyCosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I take back my original post - there is a 1Ghz PB G4, model A1010 that shipped with a 1Ghz processor. It initially shipped with OS X 10.2.7 but at some point, they started shipping them with OS X 10.3.

okay than ... I'm guessing the operating system is Mac OS X and the numbers are different versions , yes ?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes 10.4 not opening in Lion | Installed OSX on wrong hard drive »