New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot clear my trash!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimkhong

jimkhong is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have upgraded to Lion and found that I am unable to clear my trash. When I click to empty my trash, it asks me if I want to erase and I click "Secure Empty Trash". It then tells me I have locked items, even when I have only one item selected. There are two options, "Remove Unlocked Items" and "Remove All Items", both giving me the same result: It gets into the "Emptying the Trash" dialogue box, which disappears after running for about 2 seconds.

The guy at the shop said it was because I have anti-virus running (I have 'iVirus' and 'VirusBarrier Express') and in particular, he identified the AVG link-scanner, which doesn't make sense to me as that came as a Firefox add-on and only scans links on the browser.

Appreciate any help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Get rid of all the virus software especially the one from AVG. AVG is a resource hog and is known to be troublesome. I don't know if that's the reason your Trash can't be emptied, but it's a good start. If you must run AV software, download and use the free ClamXav which is made for OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I had virus barrier when I first started out. I unloaded that quickly. It is such a resource hog. Another alternative to ClamXav is Sophos.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
jimkhong

Thanks chscag for such a speedy reply

I have problem trying to delete them as I understand that they do not delete just by dragging them to trash:

iAntiVirus: Using the uninstall icon in the folder, I tried clicking onto the "Uninstall" button but nothing happened. I was connected to Internet at that point.

AVG: Did a search online and there was a website that advised that I need the .dmg file but I couldn't find it - probably because it was a Firefox add-on.

VirusBarrier - can't find any way to uninstall.

The strange thing was that I use to empty my trash regularly on my old laptop under Snow Leopard (can't remember if I emptied after upgrading to Lion). I migrated to my new laptop by restoring from Time Capsule and that is where the problems started. What was really strange was that it afflicted both old and new laptops. Coincidentally (?) my Parallels did not work as well.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkhong View Post
Thanks chscag for such a speedy reply

I have problem trying to delete them as I understand that they do not delete just by dragging them to trash:

iAntiVirus: Using the uninstall icon in the folder, I tried clicking onto the "Uninstall" button but nothing happened. I was connected to Internet at that point.

AVG: Did a search online and there was a website that advised that I need the .dmg file but I couldn't find it - probably because it was a Firefox add-on.

VirusBarrier - can't find any way to uninstall.

The strange thing was that I use to empty my trash regularly on my old laptop under Snow Leopard (can't remember if I emptied after upgrading to Lion). I migrated to my new laptop by restoring from Time Capsule and that is where the problems started. What was really strange was that it afflicted both old and new laptops. Coincidentally (?) my Parallels did not work as well.
I had the same problem with uninstalling Virus barrier. I end up googling it. "virus barrier uninstall" and was able to get rid of it.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
jimkhong

Thanks firesidedog

I took your tip and got MacKeeper. It shreded all my files and now, only the locked items are left in my Trash. Still can't delete them. As I am not the author of those files, I cannot unlock them.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

MacKeeper is even worse than the anti-virus. There are many advisers on here that will tell you to get rid of it pronto

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
SusanRC

SusanRC is on a distinguished road

I do not have an antivirus on my MAC with Lion but I am still unable to empty the trash can. Please help!!!!!!!! It does the same thing, starts to delete then after 2 seconds it disappears.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

1. Get rid of MacKeeper if you can.

2. Get rid of your antivirus software.

3. Follow our staff member's good advice and use ClamXAV and chscag has even provided a link to it.

4. Susan try a reboot.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SusanRC

I used this to delete the files in trash: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

I didn't have MacKeeper or an Antivirus ... but I will check out ClamXAV.

Thank you!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jimkhong

Found an app that will clear items on my trashcan - Tra****. Recommended by the guy from Apple. It gives a choice of (i) finding an item hard to trash (ii) trashing of items are taking too long.
QUOTE Thanks
SusanRC

I have had to use this "Terminal" command a few times in the past years and it works perfect everytime and clears all files from my Trash.

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« scanner adaptability | Timemachine weird glitch? »