New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

apple mac virgin!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chester_lad

chester_lad is on a distinguished road

hi all i have got my hand on a Apple Macbook 2.2GHz dual core

ok here my problem the hard drive has gone cant get data off it .

i have a new 320gb hard drive and i have the disk i believe mite have come with it but not 100% sure i want to restore the software back on but i boot it and it just hangs on the apple logo with the "cog"

any help would be great thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chester_lad

no one know?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester_lad View Post

ok here my problem the hard drive has gone cant get data off it .
This could mean you have a dead/crashed hard drive. If this is the case:

- you will not be able to boot from it
- you will not be able to extract any data from it
- you will not be able to install a new copy of the OS on it
- and if the HD is dead...that's very possibly why you're getting the "spinning cog"

If the HD is dead/crashed...it needs to be replaced.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. It wasn't very clear in your 1st post...but did you already replace the MacBook's internal HD with the 320gig HD you mentioned?. If so...did you format it with Disk Utility.? Regarding the Install disk you have. Need more info about it:

- What color is it (gray/silver or another color)?
- What OS version is it?
- Where did you get it (with the computer or not)?

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

First off let's make sure we are using the right DVD. If it is not right then the machine won't boot no matter what we do. Can you describe the DVD? Including whatever is printed on it.

If you are pretty sure it is the right one you can insert the DVD and hold down the Option key immediately after you hold down the option key. If all goes well you should see a screen where you can use the mouse or arrow and return keys to select the DVD.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chester_lad

hi i have now put it in a external dvd drive and i have got it to boot now doing a clean install does this mean my drive is bad or firmware ?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

It might be a bad CD/DVD drive. I would try several other CD/DVDs though before I reached that conclusion.

That can also happen if the DVD is dirty/scratched or if the lens is dirty. Some drives are a little more tolerant of this than others. You might try giving the problem drive a couple of short blasts of compressed air in case the lens is dirty.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfer startup disk to new drive | Lion and WiFi »