New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Starting up Imac Duo Core with Tiger CD's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob123

Bob123 is on a distinguished road

I have an early Imac Duo Core with MacOS10.4. I lost the orginal DVD and have purchased 10.4 on CD's. I have been having problem starting up the computer with the cd's? Is it possible to do so with the cds or should I buy a 10.4 DVD? Therehas been a problem with hard disk. I think that it is very close to capacity in terms of containing files. I have been able to start the computer with Diskwarrior and it has been used to do maintenance on the disk. However, I can't open the hard disk when using Diskwarrior either.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob123 View Post
I lost the orginal DVD and have purchased 10.4 on CD's. I have been having problem starting up the computer with the cd's?
What color are the CD's...gray/silver or mostly black?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Bob123

Grey/Silver, as I recall. Bought in 2006
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Grey/Silver, as I recall. Bought in 2006
If they're not the original disks that came with the computer...then they won't work. The gray/silver disks only work with the model computer that they originally shipped with.

You need OS 10.4 disks that are black with a big X on them. Unless you absolutely need OS 10.4 (for various reasons)...since your computer has a "core duo" cpu...you could also install OS 10.5 or 10.6.

- Nick

p.s. By the way. If your hard disk is almost full...this can result in some BIG problems. You need to delete some items or back some of it up on an external drive to make room on your iMacs internal drive. An almost full internal drive can also cause problems when trying to install or upgrade an OS.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Bob123

Clarification. The disks that came with the computer are grey and black. The replacement
CD's are black which I'm having a problem with. I've learned first hand about the problems
of starting up the computer with a disk that is almost filled up. Seems that the disk is so
full that it won't allow me to start from the replacement disks. Any tips about what I should do? Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I've learned first hand about the problems
of starting up the computer with a disk that is almost filled up. Seems that the disk is so full that it won't allow me to start from the replacement disks. Any tips about what I should do? Thanks for your help!
Can I assume that you read my "p.s." in my previous post regarding how an almost full (or full HD) can cause big problems?

If you're trying to start up your computer from the OS install CD's the full hard drive shouldn't matter. What I mean is...you should be able to successfully boot the computer from the CD's...you just won't be able to proceed with the OS install (due to not enough available free HD space).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Bob123

All I wantto do is start up the Imac so I can dump some stuff from
the hard drive. Install is not needed.
No luck doing so with the first CD of 10.4 this afternoon.
Started the computer with the "C" held down and the CD inserted. Still get the
flashing "?" mark. Have been feeling like a dog chasing my tail the past couple of days.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Started the computer with the "C" held down and the CD inserted. Still get the
flashing "?" mark. Have been feeling like a dog chasing my tail the past couple of days.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated.
We may need to back up a bit here with this problem. The Flashing "?" can occur for at least 4 reasons:

1. The computer contains no hard drive.
2. The the hard drive in the computer does not have a valid OS installed on it.
3. The OS on the computer has gotten corrupted in some way...or important files got deleted somehow.
4. The hard drive is dead.

I'm going to assume that we can eliminate possibilities 1 & 2. Which leaves us with possibilities 3 & 4. For option #3...folks have accidentally deleted important OS files before...so this can happen. And with option #4 (dead hard drive) this can certainly happen. The question with hard drives is...not if they will crash...but when will they crash (eventually it happens to ALL hard drives).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« missing photo library | Snow Leopard Freezing »