New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MBP with Lion won't reboot.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wheelz

Wheelz is on a distinguished road

I waited a couple of months before installing Lion on my MBP 2010 expecting there to be a few bugs to sort.

Installation went fine and been running a few days now, until I rebooted.
Now it's hung on the white apple startup screen with the spinny thing.

Any advice as to how I might fix this?

Is there a magic set of key combinations to enter safe mode and at least remove some apps from startup in the hope that it might be just a compatibility issue?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Hold down the shift key while booting will take you into safe mode.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Hold down the shift key while booting will take you into safe mode.
Thanks bobtomay, at least the progress bar was something different to look at, however, still no boot even to safe mode.

I have the Snow Leopard disk in the drive, am I able to invoke that when it boots?
Is there a key to make it look at the DVD drive while booting?

At least then I should be able to do a clean install of Snow Leopard.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hold down the C key in order to boot from the Snow Leopard DVD or you can press the Option key and then select the DVD to boot from.
QUOTE Thanks
Wheelz

Thanks chscag,

I ended up formatting and installing Snow Leopard.

I still have Lion on my iMac and I'm real nervous about restarting it.

What a waste of NZ$39.00 and lost apps and files. (Didn't have a drive big enough to do backup on)
Should have accepted the negative picture painted by all the problems posted.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hang on to your copy of Lion. It looks like we should see the 10.7.2 update before too long. That might clear up some of issues you're having with Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Hang on to your copy of Lion. It looks like we should see the 10.7.2 update before too long. That might clear up some of issues you're having with Lion.
Thanks chscag,

I installed it from the App Store and therefor don't have a "copy" as such.
I've been visiting the app store daily to check for 10.7.2 (hasn't appeared yet) and today I find I would have to pay for it again!!

Instead of the "Install" button, I get the $38.99 button.

The license agreement states that they can charge again for a major release like 10.8 but we're still in 10.7

I have 10.7 working fine on my iMac, am I able to copy the install from there onto my MBP?
If so, where would I look to find it?

Thanks,
Pete
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

When you buy and download Lion, it will download the program to the \Applications folder. You should backup this file BEFORE installing it, otherwise it will get deleted after installing Lion to your Mac.

If its already deleted, you can get it back by clicking on "Puchased" button in the App Store and re-download it.
QUOTE Thanks
Wheelz

Thanks pjhutch,

I had a "duh" moment. Wasn't logged in.
However, I only have the "Install" option. Which will, obviously, install Lion.
Is there a way to just download it for future installation?

When I installed it the first time I don't recall having the option 'not' to install after download.

Pete
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ways to map User folders to different HDs? | Way to round up all files of one type? »