New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion or Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Acrilyc

Acrilyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

I upgraded to Snow Leopard shortly after release. Recently, although, I've had some problems. It's almost as though I could run more programs at a time with Snow Leopard. And, with Lion I've just been having some quicktime problems. I use iMovie often, but now that's not possible. Last I used it was last week sometime, but now I can't import. I'm missing some Quicktime components, that I had last week when I used it. I'm contemplating doing a clean install of Snow Leopard.

So, really my main question is, which has more performance? Lion, or Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

Remember to use the Reputation System if someone helps you out!

Also, get on the IRC Chanel!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

I would say snow.my computer has gotten laggier and I had a major FPS drop in crysis 2

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Acrilyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajid Ansari View Post
I would say snow.my computer has gotten laggier and I had a major FPS drop in crysis 2
Yeah. Lag is a problem too. I had a huge lag scene earlier today, whch is what really led me to this thread.

Remember to use the Reputation System if someone helps you out!

Also, get on the IRC Chanel!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

A lot of it goes away after 10.7.1. Don't forget, your computer is going to go at a snails pace eight after lion install, because of spotlight indexing.

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Lion is much snappier the Snow Leopard. If you are having troubles look at this download:-

Apple - QuickTime - Download and watch videos, movies, and TV shows.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Lion is much snappier the Snow Leopard. If you are having troubles look at this download:-

Apple - QuickTime - Download and watch videos, movies, and TV shows.

Really now? All my 'puters got slightly slower, even the ones I did a clean install. It's not meant for anything but macs of the last one or two generations. A friend of mine has an air, and it runs perfectly for him.

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajid Ansari View Post
Really now? All my 'puters got slightly slower, even the ones I did a clean install. It's not meant for anything but macs of the last one or two generations. A friend of mine has an air, and it runs perfectly for him.
I have an '06 MBP and a '07 MB. The MBP seems a touch faster to me than with SL. The wife (not nearly as critical as I) uses the MB (with only 1 GB RAM) and reports no difference.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Both my Intel Macs are for sure snappier in Lion. Even my older Mini with just 2GB ram but C2D.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

hm... My Mac is rather suggish and buggy. I repaired permissions and all that good stuff, did a clean install on another mac to compair, and it was buggy, slow and the start up time was around 10 secs longer.

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

A new OS release always has the potential to be "buggy"...that being said...from what I've heard, Lion is pretty darn stable.

When the question is asked "Snow Leopard or Lion"...eventually (if you want to keep up with the latest & greatest Apple has to offer) you have to upgrade to Lion (and beyond). Maybe not in 2011, maybe not in 2012...but eventually an OS upgrade is inevitable (if you want to stay "modern").

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
A new OS release always has the potential to be "buggy"...that being said...from what I've heard, Lion is pretty darn stable.

When the question is asked "Snow Leopard or Lion"...eventually (if you want to keep up with the latest & greatest Apple has to offer) you have to upgrade to Lion (and beyond). Maybe not in 2011, maybe not in 2012...but eventually an OS upgrade is inevitable (if you want to stay "modern").

- Nick
True dat.

I know that it will be buggy no matter what, but my Mac has started to crash now that its on Lion. Never before in its life has the mac crashed, and now I frequently find myself with a 100% unresponsive computer. One time, it got stuck at the login screen, and the cursor was rapidly changing from beachball to cursor, and the window kept on doing a cube animation on an infinite loop, it was transitioning back to the login screen FRON the login screen. I ended up having to pull the cord on my Mac.

Buggy? Excusable.

lag? Excusable.

System Failures? Not in the least.

That being said, I love the new features that Lion brings, and they add to the functionality. And for 29.99 for all my Macs, its worth it.

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
nancyjoj

nancyjoj is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with Snow although the lag time improved when I upped my RAM. My issues with Lion are slowly being resolved but I think Apple jumped the gun on Lion's release.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

It's almost hard to believe they did a beta test. The amount of bugs I get are very not good, if you'll excuse my saying.

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you see the bugs in Snow Leopard when it first came out? Many. Tiger had even more. So did Leopard. So did Windows XP, VISTA (One LARGE BUG) and I have found bugs in Windows 7, Linux distros.

Lion here for me has been DEAD 100% stable 24 hours a day since the day it was released for Download. Never gets shut down. Like CWA said in another post, Lion 10.7.0 was probably one of the most Stable OSX releases out of the gate.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

Ok. It hasn't been that way for me, but I'm not the expert here, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cant access internet, wifi | OSX Lion - How do I run a script »