need help booting from dvd drive
    I have forgotten my admin password and am trying to boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD that came w\my Imac. I select restart from the apple menu and when the gray screen comes up I press the c key, however, when the imac comes up it booting from the hard drive instead of the dvd drive. It does have a window for the install drive open, but it is my understanding that if it was booting from the install disk the first thing i would need to do is select my language. So my question is, when am I supposed to press the c key to get it to boot from the dvd drive and not the hard drive? I know this is a very basic question i just can't seem to get the timing right.

Thank you.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by trave1guy View Post
    I have forgotten my admin password and am trying to boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD that came w\my Imac. I select restart from the apple menu and when the gray screen comes up I press the c key, however, when the imac comes up it booting from the hard drive instead of the dvd drive. It does have a window for the install drive open, but it is my understanding that if it was booting from the install disk the first thing i would need to do is select my language. So my question is, when am I supposed to press the c key to get it to boot from the dvd drive and not the hard drive? I know this is a very basic question i just can't seem to get the timing right.

Thank you.
    Hold the "c" key down while the Mac is restarting when it chimes.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thank you, my timing must be bad, as i could not get that to work. I ended up from the apple menu choosing preferences and boot from the dvd. Changed the password and then changed my preference back to the hd.

Thread Information