New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do I tell my computer it belongs to someone else now?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trinitymusic

trinitymusic is on a distinguished road

Last year, someone donated an old Mac Powerbook G4 for my use at work (non-profit). I used it for over a year, with the donor's name showing as the system administrator and the little house that shows in the finder window showed the same name. That computer just died, and I purchased a new MacBook Pro and used Migration Assistant to transfer my files from the old, donated computer. And now my new computer has the same donor's name everywhere as the administrator and owner. How can I change that to reflect that it really is MY computer now, and have MY name and info on it?

Thanks!!

a church musician
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Take a look here.
QUOTE Thanks
trinitymusic

trinitymusic is on a distinguished road

Thanks - I've done those two things, and restarted the computer, but the little house (showing "home" on the left side of the finder window still shows the name of the donor. The computer still sees itself as his. Any other ideas? My new operating system is OS X Lion. The screens don't always look the same, but I followed the same steps.

Church Musician
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why don't you just clean install Lion? Afterward, use your Time Machine backup to restore what you need. The problem you ran into is that you used the migration assistant to carry over everything from the G4. That method would have worked great if the G4 had been in your name to begin with.

Messing with the home folder and changing names usually results in creating more headaches. You really should do a clean install anyway to get the most from your new MBP.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking of getting rid of Leopard - any advice? | Please help got pranked cannot get past loading screen of death »