New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Does Autocad for properly in Mac, help needed please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrO

DrO is on a distinguished road

Dear Members

I am wondering whether Autocad can be used properly in my 15 inches Mackbook Pro (late 2010 model)
I was given information that “Autocad does not work properly in Macs” and I was suggested to "install it in a Windows computer" (somehow I am nbot convinced by that explanation) . I have an old Windows pc (XP OS) and I don’t want to install Autocad on it. If Autocad does not work properly in Mac OS, I am willing to run it on Windows paralles on my Mac.
So, the main question is: Does Autocad run properly on Mac Os (Snow leopard or Lion)

You input is very much appreciated

Regards

DrO
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

AutoCAD is available for Mac:

AutoCAD for Mac Design Software - Autodesk

If you already own the Windows version of it, you could potentially install Windows on your Mac to run it that way. But to answer your specific question - yes, AutoCAD runs properly on the Mac OS, provided that you have the Mac version of it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

To clarify, Autocad runs perfectly on Snow Leopard. Unless they have released an update that I'm not aware of (haven't looked in a couple weeks), Autocad is not Lion compatible as this time.
QUOTE Thanks
ksabee

ksabee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2011

have u got any idea if AutoCAD is compatible with mountain lion?? I have a student licensed AutoCAD which worked fine when i got it while on Snow leopard, but when i tried opening it recently after many months on Mountain Lion it just keeps crashing, never opens.......a friend of mine with mountain lion has the same problem
got an AutoCAD assignment due in a couple of weeks, so kinda urgent
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabee View Post
have u got any idea if AutoCAD is compatible with mountain lion?? I have a student licensed AutoCAD which worked fine when i got it while on Snow leopard, but when i tried opening it recently after many months on Mountain Lion it just keeps crashing, never opens.......a friend of mine with mountain lion has the same problem
got an AutoCAD assignment due in a couple of weeks, so kinda urgent
There have been several different major updates for AutoCAD for the Mac. You didn't mention whether you'd ever installed one of them. So, the first thing to do will be to check with AutoDesk and get on the latest patch.

You might try starting here:

Autodesk - AutoCAD for Mac Services & Support - AutoCAD 2011 for Mac Update 3

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ksabee

ksabee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2011

I have installed it and used it on Snow Leopard, worked fine, but when I tried opening it for the first time on Mountain Lion it did not open, just gave a crash report
yeah thanks for the link, hope it works
btw, so should these updates be done manually? No way to automatically check for updates?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabee View Post
I have installed it and used it on Snow Leopard, worked fine, but when I tried opening it for the first time on Mountain Lion it did not open, just gave a crash report
yeah thanks for the link, hope it works
btw, so should these updates be done manually? No way to automatically check for updates?
Not sure. I would check your documentation and/or with Autodesk support. They look like pretty big patches, so sometimes those do require manual updates.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mountain Lion Messages Prob? | My macbook pro not booting - Mountain Lion »