New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Should I wait to install OSX Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geek71

geek71 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I hope I am not asking a question that's been asked a zillion times already!

Anyway, I am wondering if I should hold off a few more months before dloading the Lion OS to give them time to work out all the kinks?

I am running SnowLeopard now on a Mac Mini.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Hard to say some have experienced problems while others have had a glitch free upgrade also check to make sure all of your peripherals are compatible along with any third party software you want to run.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

What kinks? Fast and super smooth is Lion.

Make sure your Mini meets Lion specs and go for it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Point to a kink that would cause you grief should you upgrade..I upgraded to Lion on day one from Snow Leopard on my iMac..apart from a couple of seldom Universal application stopping to work, I haven't come across any issues..heck Lion got me using all the gestures with reckless abandon and I ever got a Magic Trackpad to enjoy in all the fun..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

why wait, go for the most advanced system in the world, you will not regret it.
Apple has come up with ideas today of what competitors will think of day after tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

So long as you aren't running apps which won't run under Lion, then I'd say give it a shot.

1. Launch System Profiler by selecting About This Mac from the Apple menu.
  2. In the About This Mac window that opens, click the More Info button.
  3. From the Contents list on the left-hand side of the window, scroll down to the Software section and select Applications.
  4. System Profiler will create a list of the applications installed on your Mac. The process can take some time, so be prepared to wait a bit. Once it's complete, you will see a list of all of your applications.
  5. Widen the System Profiler window until you can see the Kind column in the window. You can also just use the horizontal scroll bar, but I like to see as much of the list as I can.
  6. Click the Kind list to sort your applications by kind.
  7. Any application that has a Kind value of PowerPC or Classic won't run under OS X Lion.
If any of those apps which won't run are very important to you, there's no rush to upgrade.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
veniculum

veniculum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: New "unibody" macbook pro 2.4Ghz, 250 SSD, 4GbDDR3 RAM; Mac OS X Leopard, Parallels (Vista Ult, XP)

I upgraded all three of my Macbooks when Lion was first released. No offense, but it was a terrible mistake. Particularly on the two machines that are part of our corporate domain. My own personal machine has been ok...but if you need to use these machines on a Windows/AD based network, I've had nothing but problems, and can't recommend it. I won't go into all the problems...but two that I'm trying to figure out right now have to do with my network share (or 'X' drive), which mounted fine in 10.6.x doesn't mount now (this is a login profile in Active Directory)...the other problem is, Apple Remote Desktop doesn't work for domain accounts. I can use ARD as the local admin...but am unable to authenticate as a domain admin. These are just two of the most recent problems I've run into. There have been quite a few others.
Being a sys admin, you could've said I should know better...I just didn't think the problems I would've run into would've been this extensive. Bummer!
QUOTE Thanks
Phorrest24

Phorrest24 is on a distinguished road

I've had problems since upgrading. To whit:

When first turning on the computer, I sometimes get the spinning color wheel when I try to sign in.
Sometimes when the computer has gone into sleep mode, touching the keyboard wakes up the lights in the keyboard but the screen stays black and I have to reboot.
Takes longer to boot in general

I wish I had not upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Those that are having problems after installing lion, have you upgrade to 10.7.1 ? Should have some problems solved.
QUOTE Thanks
Phorrest24

Actually, I upgraded to 10.7.1 as soon as they announced it and I had the sleep problem last night and the spinning color wheel at sign in today. Didn't seem to fix those problems.
QUOTE Thanks
jtkeep

jtkeep is on a distinguished road

Dont do it it does not work
QUOTE Thanks
Filterlab

Filterlab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

Varying opinions a little.

I did my 2008 iMac first, worked perfectly. Boot up: 40 seconds, shut down; immediate. Rosetta applications don't work, but most were unused.

I then did my 2010 MacBook Air. Also worked perfectly. Boot up: around 30 seconds, shut down: about 10 seconds. I had some problems with Adobe based applications (Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop) but they soon cleared. All is perfect.

I then updated my wife's 2010 Macbook Pro. Flawless update, boot up is around 30 seconds, shut down is immediate (less than 4 seconds). No problems anywhere although I did run Onyx 2.4 through it as it got a bit glitchy after a couple of weeks. All perfect now.

The updated applications are brilliant! The proper scroll direction is genius and makes more sense than I could have ever imagined, and the whole thing runs so smoothly it belies belief. Seriously, it does make me wonder how Apple can keep improving things so well, but they do.

Check your applications first and then do it.

I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

My Macbook Pro won't sleep when I shut the lid while there's an external monitor connected since I upgraded to Lion.

You need a third party application if you want a trackpad gesture to bring up the application switcher.

Many full screen apps will not remain on your external monitor; it will slide back to the primary display, leaving your second monitor blank and useless.

I could go on. Some things are bugs, some are blatant oversights. I tried my best to find workarounds, but I'm getting to the point where I may go back to SL. If you've got a good workflow going and you like SL, I'd say wait for a few updates before installing Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Phorrest24

I've also been having trouble getting Time Machine to work. Since going to Lion, my MacBook Pro hangs up when trying to backup. Geniuses have not yet been able to fix it. We know it isn't the external drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's causing these kernel panics? | emails in Imac »