New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion on USB


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
deke

 
Member Since: Aug 23, 2011
Posts: 4
deke is on a distinguished road

deke is offline
Howdy Folks!

Cliff notes:
Can I use the USB Lion upgrade to go from Tiger to Lion (hardware is Lion compatible of course)

Long story:
I've had an iMac for a little over a year, so I'm not entirely new to the Apple world, but I have this dilemma.

Earlier this year I inherited an older Macbook Pro from my Mom. It's a Core2duo and all that good stuff (don't remember the exact specs but I've checked and it's Lion compatible), but it came with Tiger. I actually believe it fell in that window of getting the free Leopard upgrade, but of course my Mom didn't pursue it (possibly didn't even know about it).

Back when I first got it, I looked into upgrading to Snow Leopard. At the time the standard "accepted" way was to buy the $100+ service pack to upgrade from Tiger. Apparently using the $29.99 disk was some kind of terms of service no-no when upgrading from Tiger. Well, I ended up dragging my feet and now the Apple store doesn't even sell the expensive, "correct" option. So I figure screw it, I'll just go with the $29.99 upgrade disc.

I went to an Apple store, they said I'd have to order it online. I put the order in this past weekend, and looking at my cart the ship date isn't until mid September. Since I was thinking of eventually going to Lion anyways, is it possible to go directly from Tiger to Lion using the USB drive option? I've done a fair amount of googling, and I've only really found speculation back before the USB drive was actually released.

I realize it is still $10 more expensive than buying the Snow Leopard upgrade and then downloading Lion, but the time saved would be worth it to me.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,613
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
According to everything I've read on Apple's site and in the Mac App Store, having SL 10.6.6 - 10.6.8 on your Mac is a requirement to move to Lion. I seriously doubt it is even possible to make the jump from Tiger to Lion even if you wanted to. OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

From the OS X Lion Software License Agreement at the bottom of that page I linked to:
Quote:
The OS X Lion Software License Agreement allows you to install and use the software for your personal, non-commercial use on all the Macs you own or control that are running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server (a Mac Computer). Commercial enterprises or educational institutions can install and use one copy of the software for use either a) by a single individual on each Mac Computer that the enterprise or educational institution owns or controls, or b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that the enterprise or educational institution owns or controls (for example, in a resource center or library). You can also use the software in accordance with the terms of a volume or maintenance license (purchased separately). Full license terms can be found at Apple - Legal.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 744
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deke View Post
Howdy Folks!

Cliff notes:
Can I use the USB Lion upgrade to go from Tiger to Lion (hardware is Lion compatible of course)

Long story:
I've had an iMac for a little over a year, so I'm not entirely new to the Apple world, but I have this dilemma.

Earlier this year I inherited an older Macbook Pro from my Mom. It's a Core2duo and all that good stuff (don't remember the exact specs but I've checked and it's Lion compatible), but it came with Tiger. I actually believe it fell in that window of getting the free Leopard upgrade, but of course my Mom didn't pursue it (possibly didn't even know about it).

Back when I first got it, I looked into upgrading to Snow Leopard. At the time the standard "accepted" way was to buy the $100+ service pack to upgrade from Tiger. Apparently using the $29.99 disk was some kind of terms of service no-no when upgrading from Tiger. Well, I ended up dragging my feet and now the Apple store doesn't even sell the expensive, "correct" option. So I figure screw it, I'll just go with the $29.99 upgrade disc.

I went to an Apple store, they said I'd have to order it online. I put the order in this past weekend, and looking at my cart the ship date isn't until mid September. Since I was thinking of eventually going to Lion anyways, is it possible to go directly from Tiger to Lion using the USB drive option? I've done a fair amount of googling, and I've only really found speculation back before the USB drive was actually released.

I realize it is still $10 more expensive than buying the Snow Leopard upgrade and then downloading Lion, but the time saved would be worth it to me.

Thanks!
Snow leopard is the stepping stone to lion. I might be wrong.
You might have to bite the bullet to get the snow leopard. To save some money you might get it on ebay. To save even more money on lion, why not download from apple store when you have installed sl. Then create an install disk just like you would have bought from apple store (the usb one),
then install to your macbook pro.
Then get another usb stick to create the lion recovery disk, then you are in business.
QUOTE Thanks
deke

 
Member Since: Aug 23, 2011
Posts: 4
deke is on a distinguished road

deke is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
Snow leopard is the stepping stone to lion. I might be wrong.
You might have to bite the bullet to get the snow leopard. To save some money you might get it on ebay. To save even more money on lion, why not download from apple store when you have installed sl. Then create an install disk just like you would have bought from apple store (the usb one),
then install to your macbook pro.
Then get another usb stick to create the lion recovery disk, then you are in business.
Well of course I'm just going to download Lion after (if) I install Snow leopard. No need to drop $40 extra dollars for a physical copy. I was simply wondering if I could skip the Snow Leopard step altogether since they now offer Lion on a USB drive (that is, I don't need the Snow Leopard app store to get it). I guess MYmacROX pretty much answered this, at least from the official Apple standpoint.

I can understand if Lion somehow piggybacks off of Snow Leopard, but I was getting the impression that it's a full, independent OS. I could be absolutely mistaken on that though, which is exactly why I posted on here to see if anyone knew from experience
QUOTE Thanks
deke

 
Member Since: Aug 23, 2011
Posts: 4
deke is on a distinguished road

deke is offline
Ah, nevermind.

I think I found what i needed.
How to install Lion over Leopard | Operating Systems | MacUser | Macworld
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,613
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
We follow U.S. law on these forums and that applies to the Software License Agreement and EULAs.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
deke

 
Member Since: Aug 23, 2011
Posts: 4
deke is on a distinguished road

deke is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
We follow U.S. law on these forums and that applies to the Software License Agreement and EULAs.
Understood.

So has the EULA changed for the Snow Leopard upgrade disk (I tried looking on the apple store, but it takes me to the Lion system requirements everytime)? In my research earlier this year the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disk was only meant for computers already running Leopard. If one was running Tiger, they had to purchase the $169 package in order to have a proper license. Apple no longer sells the $169 package so did they throw a license on the $29 one?

It seems my only two options to have a Macbook Pro with Lion (or even Snow Leopard) is to buy a new computer or be an Apple-plundering "pirate", ARGGHH
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 40,114
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
The Snow Leopard full boxed set can be purchased from Amazon.com for $129.00 (used) plus free shipping. Do some searching on Amazon, you'll find it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,063
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Despite the "extra" expense, I recommend the Snow Leopard Boxed Set. The reason is because jumping as far forward as you are going to be doing, you NEED (as in, this is really pretty mandatory) to upgrade your iLife suite anyway -- and for the price, you get the entire iWork suite (a $60 value even on the Mac App Store!) for free. Pages alone is worth that.

Plus, you'll be bang up-to-date on all your Apple apps when you do go to Lion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Freezing and beeping! | Windows Preventing OSX File Changes »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
USB problem, might concerne Lion OS tommyjorp OS X - Operating System 5 07-26-2011 03:04 PM
MBP 15" USB Port/LED Cinema Display/Flash Content Issues addesso Apple Notebooks 1 01-17-2010 10:56 PM
Never enough USB Ports... drgrafix Other Hardware and Peripherals 4 01-02-2010 10:38 AM
Strategies for dealing with the MacBook Air's Single USB Port m021478 Apple Notebooks 8 12-24-2008 11:45 PM
HELP! G4 and Ethernet to USB Conversion ventura67 Apple Desktops 2 11-07-2008 09:04 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?