New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Flashing screen!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lucyh

lucyh is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with this problem, or this flashing screen will send me mad!

I currently have my MacBook Pro hooked up to a larger Mac display. The screen flashes every 3-4 minutes, and I don't know how to stop it!

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Check the cable or adapter to make sure they're connected tight. A flashing screen usually indicates a loose or defective cable or connector. Check both ends. If either appears defective, replace them.
QUOTE Thanks
lucyh

Thanks so much!

I feel a bit stupid, but I think that has fixed it!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No need to feel stupid. Just remember: always check the simple stuff first.
QUOTE Thanks
lucyh

Hi all! It is back! I have played with the cords, and it is not making a difference. Is there something else it could be? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Check your universal access settings. There is a setting to make your screen flash when any kind of notification comes up, or you press a wrong key. Turn the volume up,does it make a noise when it flashes?

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
lucyh

Hi! No, no noise. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Did you check the universal access? Try a restart

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
lucyh

Where do I find this setting? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
Hi all! It is back! I have played with the cords, and it is not making a difference. Is there something else it could be? Thanks
As I said before, the cable may be defective. Try changing it out for another to see if that cures it. It could also be the adapter that's bad. I'm assuming you're using a mini-display port adaptor or perhaps HDMI?
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
Where do I find this setting? Thanks!
Go to system Preferences, and in the right top corner, there will be a blue circle with a white stick figgy on it. When you click on it, go to the top, and select hearing. See if "Flash the screen when an alert sound occurs" is selected. If it is, deselect it.

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I've seen the cable on the studio displays go bad at either the plug end or the display end. Wiggle the cable at both ends and see if you can replicate the flash. If it does appear to be the cable, it's is not easily detachable from the display, and usually requires the entire display be sent in for services.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WiFi Issue | Trouble booting from Snow Leopard installation flash drive »