New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger to Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tm16scud

tm16scud is on a distinguished road

Got an email from my beloved Spotify today telling me that, in a few months, they will no longer support OSX prior to 10.5. In other words, it's time to upgrade. Since I've had no problems with Tiger (I have a white MacBook, circa mid-2007, 1GB RAM, 2 gHz Intel), I've had no reason to upgrade until now, so I've been out of the loop for a few years as to upgrade requirements. I can't download Lion, since I can't access the Mac App store, and I'd like to stick with familiarity, so would it be possible to install Snow Leopard? Any responses/help is appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yeah you can purchase the Snow Leopard retail disk for $29 and then do a fresh install on your Macbook..make sure you backup your data first..

If you have a Core2Duo processor, then you can upgrade to Lion..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
tm16scud

tm16scud is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the reply. Would there be any issue with the specs I mentioned? 2ghz Core2Duo, 1GB RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The processor speed should be OK..but you could definitely benefit from upgrading your RAM to whatever max your Macbook supports..can never have enough RAM..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I believe that Apple's position is that the OSX Box Set is for upgrading to Snow Leopard from versions prior to Leopard. In fact, I also have it on very good authority that this is the official position of this forum as well. (The box set includes iWork.) However, I think it's getting hard if not impossible to find SL in any form at retail stores. You might be limited to internet purchasing.
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

I live in the chicago illinois area, cannot find snow leopard at any of the Apple retail stores around chicago and been told that the Apple online store is sold out and has a 3 week wait to get it. I got a retail copy from someone on craigslist and it works just fine. just an option for you but make sure it is a retail version not a grey restore disc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to upgrade to Java 1.7 on OS X 10.4.11 | Multiple Issues Upgrading iMac »