New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Folders Copying Themselves

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NekoRoseGal

NekoRoseGal is on a distinguished road

My folders are copying themselves onto Macintosh HD. I attached a screenshot. I'm not copying them or anything. After I delete them, they copy themselves back on there again.

I'm running Mac OS X Version 10.6.4

Sorry if I put this post in the wrong place.. T_______T
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 5.14.45 PM.png (112.8 KB, 41 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You did manage to post in the wrong forum. This has nothing to do with Apple Rumors and Reports. Please read our forum descriptions before posting. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Your image doesn't indicate which folders are "copying themselves" but what you describe is more accurately "regeneration" of folders. There are certain folders that the OS has by default, whether you want them or not.
QUOTE Thanks
NekoRoseGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Your image doesn't indicate which folders are "copying themselves" but what you describe is more accurately "regeneration" of folders. There are certain folders that the OS has by default, whether you want them or not.
The folders that are copying themselves aren't the default folders. They're my Pictures, Music, Movies, Desktop, etc.. All those folders. Not the default ones. ^^
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Ok, if you mean they replicate the contents as well, I'm at a loss. That would be describing something I would think is impossible without user intervention. Does anyone else have access to the computer when you're not around?
QUOTE Thanks
NekoRoseGal

Quote:
Ok, if you mean they replicate the contents as well, I'm at a loss. That would be describing something I would think is impossible without user intervention. Does anyone else have access to the computer when you're not around?
No one else has access to the computer when I'm not around. It does it as I'm watching it, too. Copying the folders with the contents and everything.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Its possesed! No, i would backup the folders, then delete them,the originals, not the ones that were duplicated, THEN try and delete them from the HD.

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoRoseGal View Post
No one else has access to the computer when I'm not around. It does it as I'm watching it, too. Copying the folders with the contents and everything.
You must have it set to do this. Do you use a backup program?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I'm still not certain I'm understanding correctly. Every user account has default folders created by the account template - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Shared and Sites. The system will "yell" at you if you try to delete those folders, and if they're missing, the system will recreate them. It will also create basic file structures within some folders, including folders for your iTunes music, libraries, iPhoto database, etc. You can Control-click the folders and Get Info to see if they contain any data. Odds are, if it's just recreating the folders, they won't be more than 100k or so. I'd be curious to know if the files are much larger than that once they reappear.
QUOTE Thanks
NekoRoseGal

Quote:
You must have it set to do this. Do you use a backup program?
I haven't set it to do anything. I don't use any backup program.
QUOTE Thanks
NekoRoseGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
I'm still not certain I'm understanding correctly. Every user account has default folders created by the account template - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Shared and Sites. The system will "yell" at you if you try to delete those folders, and if they're missing, the system will recreate them. It will also create basic file structures within some folders, including folders for your iTunes music, libraries, iPhoto database, etc. You can Control-click the folders and Get Info to see if they contain any data. Odds are, if it's just recreating the folders, they won't be more than 100k or so. I'd be curious to know if the files are much larger than that once they reappear.

I didn't try to delete the originals of those folders; I tried to delete the copies that were in the wrong place. The originals are in the folder of my account. These folders are copying onto the Macintosh HD. And it's copying the folders with the contents of the originals. So they're bigger than 100k.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoRoseGal View Post
I didn't try to delete the originals of those folders; I tried to delete the copies that were in the wrong place.
Yeah, but the suggestion is that the originals may be corrupt for some reason, so get rid of them and keep the copies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstall files | better touch tool not working with lion upgrade »