Thread: Connect to Windows XP share?
08-21-2011, 05:14 PM #1Connect to Windows XP share?
I have been connecting my MBP to a Win2003 shared folder without any problems, but can not connect to an XP shared folder on another machine that is on the same LAN using...
Finder>GO>Connect to server>smb://192.168.0.103/test
Is there some way I can get Finder to tell me why it sits there forever with a "connecting to...." message?
* XP has firewall turned off and has no other virus or firewall software.
* the folder I am trying to share "test" has the "everyone" user in its permissions list with permissions set to "full control"
* no error messages appear in the XP app or system log
* the sharename "test" does appear in the list when I use the OSX terminal with this command:
smbclient -L 192.168.0.103
* I'm using OSX 10.6.5 and XP 32bit with SP2
* thinking this was a common problem, I tried the forum's search feature in both this forum and the switcher forum - to no avail
thanks again!2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM #2
Found it - OSX needed a reboot. Some critical but low visibility part of OSX had died. Some symptoms I noticed...
1. even though I could ping the XP box, OSX never asked for the user name and password when trying to connect. OSX acted like the computer I was trying to connect did not exist.
2. the "force quit" window didn't open when called upon.
That's the first time I've ever seen OSX behave so badly. Good to know that it does happen, though, as I wasted all of my time tinkering with the XP box instead of suspecting OSX.
There may be a more elegant way to restart OSX, but I had to hold the power button down to get it to shut off as a normal shutdown or restart did not respond at all - even after closing all of the open programs.2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By cwa107 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 3Last Post: 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
By maxbeaumont in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 6Last Post: 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM
By Infosystems in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
By Bigtwenty in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 0Last Post: 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
By satorisurf in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 0Last Post: 03-05-2008, 07:30 AM