New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I use a used Leopard disc I bought off eBay to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

person197

person197 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a used disc of Leopard (10.5) on eBay. Can I use this disc without problems from Apple? I don't want them thinking I am using a CD on more than one computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You shouldn't have a problem with it at all, so long as it is a retail version and not a grey model-specific version of Leopard.

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
person197

I don't like purchasing anything used but I hardly have an option since Apple no longer sells Leopard. I got to the point that I cant use my iPhone with my computer and can't upgrade browsers because Tiger is no longer supported. iPhone requires iTunes 10 which I can't upgrade to with Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by person197 View Post
I don't like purchasing anything used but I hardly have an option since Apple no longer sells Leopard. I got to the point that I cant use my iPhone with my computer and can't upgrade browsers because Tiger is no longer supported. iPhone requires iTunes 10 which I can't upgrade to with Tiger.
As "Buzzard2010" mentoned...is this 10.5 disc gray/silver or black?

This makes a BIG difference...since the gray/silver discs are model specific...and thus as you found out...don't work on your computer.

You also didn't mention your computer model (could be helpful).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
person197

It is the black and purple disc with the big X in the center.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is the black and purple disc with the big X in the center.
Thanks for that info. It would be good to know what the exact computer model you have? It may also help to know the exact OS version you're running.

Also (like toMACsh mentioned)...have you even tried to install OS 10.5 yet? Your original post makes it sound like you haven't tried yet.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

That should work fine. Have you installed it already?
QUOTE Thanks
person197

I have a 2006 MacBook (Core Duo) with OS 10.4.11 with 512MB ram (i will upgrading that soon). I haven't gotten the Leopard disc yet. I am waiting for it in the mail.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have a 2006 MacBook (Core Duo) with OS 10.4.11 with 512MB ram (i will upgrading that soon). I haven't gotten the Leopard disc yet. I am waiting for it in the mail.
It should work fine. Let us know how it goes.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
person197

Once I get Leopard, I will upgrade my RAM next month to 2GB (the max for this MacBook) and get Snow Leopard. I know I am WAY behind the times. I guess the message "you need to upgrade Safari," is a kick in the butt to do it. I am starting to get errors browsing the internet due to the browser being too old. I want a new MacBook Pro but I will have to wait on that due to the cost.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Once I get Leopard, I will upgrade my RAM next month to 2GB (the max for this MacBook) and get Snow Leopard. I know I am WAY behind the times. I guess the message "you need to upgrade Safari," is a kick in the butt to do it. I am starting to get errors browsing the internet due to the browser being too old. I want a new MacBook Pro but I will have to wait on that due to the cost.
Sounds like a plan...good luck.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Just FYI ... and you have probably figured this out by now ... but it's really less painful to keep the Mac up to par doing routine upgrades than it is to be in the catch-22 situation you find yourself in from waiting too long.

You certainly don't have to buy every new OS upgrade on the day it comes out or anything, but I have found that routinely expecting to keep certain key apps and the system as up-to-date as possible really pays off in terms of lack of aggravation (and more affordable spread-out costs) in the long run.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble with folder icons and names | PowerMac/Tiger question »