New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook running incredibly slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dave.shrack

dave.shrack is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. I am going to apologize in advance if this thread is a run-on of another, but I am at my wits end. I recently came back from a 9 month deployment overseas, in which i had taken my computer. As you would think, the WiFi in the Indian Ocean is sluggish...who knew? Well I was not able to update anything or really do anything with my Macbook besides charge my iPhone and iPod and all that.

Well, since I have returned my Macbook has never run the same. Whenever I boot my Mac, it will work fluently for about 1.5 minutes, and then BOOM. NOTHING. Just the "Load" symbol (spinning gear) and thats it. I do not run any memory extensive programs, I literally only run iTunes and Safari. I updated my Mac too all the most recent versions, and even recently installed Lion. The install went ok, but I still can't do a THING with my computer! I have taken it in to the geniuses and they just an some tests and determined my hardware is not the issue. Even now, I am writing this post from "Safe Mode" which is the only way that I can use my computer now.

Any and ALL support/information will be GREATLY appreciated. I have attached a basic overview of my system. And I am also using "MainMenu"

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (89.2 KB, 34 views)
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Why are you using MainMenu? What makes you think OS X needs 3rd party help to run maintenance scripts and keep itself optimized? I advise uninstalling it first of all.
QUOTE Thanks
dave.shrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by northrnchimp View Post
Why are you using MainMenu? What makes you think OS X needs 3rd party help to run maintenance scripts and keep itself optimized? I advise uninstalling it first of all.
The only reason I am using that is because my MacBook was running so slow. I downloaded that program yesterday, and it has been no help! I will uninstall it but that will have no effect on the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

How full is the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
dave.shrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
How full is the hard drive?
I have 51GB free
QUOTE Thanks
oleviking

oleviking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch

I have also been having the spinning beach ball problems a lot on my Imac, have 60GB of memory on the hard drive - also have 3 G drives in series on the Firewire port on the machine to back up photos and a single portable drive usb connection.

I see Mac Sweeper advertised, is this advisable to try and "clean" out the cobwebs?

Now I also have an Iphone, Ipod Touch and a MacBook, this is getting addictive! And I just changed over to a Mac Mini at the office, running Entourage through our Exchange Server. Wild!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.shrack View Post
The only reason I am using that is because my MacBook was running so slow. I downloaded that program yesterday, and it has been no help! I will uninstall it but that will have no effect on the machine.
There's nothing wrong with running MainMenu or OnyX. They're both actually helpful to run once in awhile. Leave it be.

Open your Activity Monitor and see what else may be running or possibly eating up your CPU and slowing things down.

Another thing which can slow the machine down is a bad or flakey hard drive. Make sure you run Disk Utility from your install media and do a verify and repair on the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A little lost during Lion Upgrade | Lion Install on New SSD »