New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4.11 to OS 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheyCallMeKrys

TheyCallMeKrys is on a distinguished road

Hello, all -

I'm a first-timer poster, trying to get a quick answer from someone more tech-savvy than I!

I've got a MacBook pro, purchased in May 2007.

I've got an office job - 40+ hours a week in front of a computer. So after a long day, I've spend very little time on my Pro over the years and have obviously missed many updates.

Today I tried to download iTunes 10.1 to sync my iPhone.
It tells me I need Mac OS 10.5 (currently running Mac OS 10.4.11).

In going to Software Update, I'm told that there is no new software available.

In checking the downloads available on Apple Support, there are tons of options - but not the specifically say "10.4.11 to 10.5".

Would love if someone could tell me what exactly I need to purchase, before I spend hundreds of dollars in one-time support calls and upgrades I don't need.

Thanks, all.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeKrys View Post
Today I tried to download iTunes 10.1 to sync my iPhone.
It tells me I need Mac OS 10.5 (currently running Mac OS 10.4.11).

In going to Software Update, I'm told that there is no new software available.

In checking the downloads available on Apple Support, there are tons of options - but not the specifically say "10.4.11 to 10.5".

Would love if someone could tell me what exactly I need to purchase, before I spend hundreds of dollars in one-time support calls and upgrades I don't need.
This is because OS 10.5 is a major upgrade...and NOT an update. Mac OS 10.5 is something you must purchase. Mac OS 10.5 was discontinued around August, 2009 (when OS 10.6 was released). If you really need OS 10.5...an install disk will cost you around $100 on e-Bay.

Since August, 2009 (when OS 10.6 was released)...OS 10.7 has been released (July, 2011). Depending on what MacBook Pro model you have...you can definitely upgrade to 10.6 (must buy it)...and maybe be able to OS 10.7 (must buy it).

But before upgrading to OS 10.5, 10.6, or 10.7...you should verify the compatibility of the applications you use are compatible with whatever OS version you choose to upgrade to.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Due to the lower cost, I'd recommend buying a copy of Snow Leopard (just forget about Leopard and move directly to Snow Leopard). I think you can still get the full Snow Leopard update kit (includes the more recent iLife and iWork apps) for $150 or so from Apple (you'll probably need to call them).

You MAY repeat MAY also need to buy updated versions of some of your third-party software. Check MacUpdate and/or the developers for updates there.

Once you've done all that, you may opt to jump up to Lion ($30). But I wouldn't suggest it until you've gotten all your key apps up to Snow Leopard standards.
QUOTE Thanks
TheyCallMeKrys

TheyCallMeKrys is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input, all.

After some research, I read several success stories of people upgrading from 10.4 to Snow Leopard, without buying Leopard and installing it first.

Thought that I might as well try Snow Leopard first - after all, if the direct upgrade didn't work, I could always use it after purchasing Leopard. I am very happy to say I was successful in that route and saved myself a bill.

I'm upgraded. I'll wait to upgrade to Lion until I've checked all my apps.

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Reject Any Install DVD | Undo working differently in Lion! »