New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion 10.7 vs 10.7.1 Performance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdag

jdag is on a distinguished road

I upgraded my iMac and my son's MacBook Pro immediately when Lion was released. In both cases, I felt that the computers were more sluggish. I noticed more spinning beach balls and longer application start times (particularly Word and Excel) compared to Snow Leopard.

I am new to the Mac world, so wrote it off to my lack of experience on the platform. Maybe I was just imagining that Lion was slower.

Then, yesterday, I upgraded both to 10.7.1. Now, both computers are MUCH snappier. It was not my imagination. Overall responsiveness is much improved with 10.7.1.

Any others have such experience?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
I upgraded my iMac and my son's MacBook Pro immediately when Lion was released. In both cases, I felt that the computers were more sluggish. I noticed more spinning beach balls and longer application start times (particularly Word and Excel) compared to Snow Leopard.

I am new to the Mac world, so wrote it off to my lack of experience on the platform. Maybe I was just imagining that Lion was slower.

Then, yesterday, I upgraded both to 10.7.1. Now, both computers are MUCH snappier. It was not my imagination. Overall responsiveness is much improved with 10.7.1.

What are the specs of your Mac? I and many others here have actually found Lion to be snappier than Snow Leopard since day 1, but the same experience won't be had if you meet the bare minimum requirements. Of course 10.7.1 was put out to squash a few bugs that may have impacted some people but not others.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post

You mentioned Word & Excel are you running Windows in a VM with a small amount of ram ?
QUOTE Thanks
jdag

My iMac is a 3.6ghz dual core i5 with 12gb or RAM. My son's MBP is a base 13" dual core, I believe 2.4ghz (or so) with 4gb of RAM.

The iMac is well above min specs. Again, the new 10.7.1 update has been a major improvement and now I would say Lion is snappier than SL. I was just surprised by the poorer performance initially.

My son noticed the better performance too, and I hadn't even told him I had updated his.

As for Word and Excel, they are Mac Office 2011, no VMs running.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

Lion is still slow on my 2011 MBP
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Surprising. Lion in both formats run extremely fast. Big step up from Snow and Plain Leopard.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jdag

It is interesting that people are having mixed performance results. By and large, most people are happy with the upgrade and its speed. My experience does seem like the exception, but I am thrilled now!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Yes, my Mac was lagging something horrible, to the point where things like launch pad weren't even animating, but I JUST upgraded to 10.7.1, and its running slick and smooth.

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
jdag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajid Ansari View Post
Yes, my Mac was lagging something horrible, to the point where things like launch pad weren't even animating, but I JUST upgraded to 10.7.1, and its running slick and smooth.
Good news. And at least this helps to confirm it was not my imagination!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Yes, thanks again for suggesting that. It helped me out a lot. I was thinking to go back to snow before I read your comment, and gave it a go.

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I ran a geekbench benchmark on a MBA 5652 on 10.7 vs 5821 with 10.7.1 - not a massive increase but it is more than normal noise for that benchmark.

I've also seen my score drop a little on another MBP going from SL to Lion. I haven't tried the benchmark on that computer since going to 10.7.1 but I bet it is closer to the SL score now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wrong install disk -.- | Safari Private Bookmarks »