New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Making a revertable Snow Leopard sandbox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

summersab

summersab is on a distinguished road

Hey, forums - I'm totally new here, so thank you for your support.

I've got three Mac Minis running Snow Leopard that I have been tasked with turning into sandbox environments for testing purposes. Essentially, I need some way to create an image of the OS in its default state that can be applied at any time, creating a clean environment. I have one external hard drive for storing the images (if necessary). I have looked at a few solutions:
  • Create a complete image using Disk Utility (drawbacks: huge and time-consuming)
  • Use Carbon Copy Cloner, which seems to be a community favorite (cons: licensing)
  • Use Time Machine to create an initial snapshot that can allow for roll-back (numerous questions, here)
  • Use DeepFreeze or similar technology (cons: no ability to restart without reverting to defaults - restarting will be necessary for testing)

I think the first option is just bad - the only thing worse would be using dd to do a bit-wise backup. From what I can tell, Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't really do much more than Disk Utility, so it seems like a silly solution. Time Machine is most intriguing. Can I create just ONE snapshot and roll it back when the sandbox needs to be refreshed? Furthermore, can I share the same snapshot with the other two computers, or do I need to create individual snapshots? Lastly, DeepFreeze and things like SmartShield. These would be great IF they have the option to allow restarts without restoring, but from what I can tell, they don't. Any feedback on these questions?

The last consideration is that I would like the solution to be able to be scripted. It is far easier to SSH into OSX with Putty and run a restore script than it is to actually sit in front of the machine and restore it. Based on that, I don't know if Time Machine will work - don't I need to reboot with the DVD and select a restore snapshot? If so, that's . . . inconvenient.

So, thoughts? Summary: I need a method of creating a sandbox environment between three cloned machines running Snow Leopard that can be restarted without a restore and restored to the initial state by running a script.

Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keychain not playing along | Alias »