New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Restoring to 10.6.7 from 10.5.8 clean install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sixth.Gear

Sixth.Gear is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

Just purchased a used MacbookPro with 10.6.7 off of craigslist and wanted to do a clean install to make sure nothing 'nasty' (i.e. malware, keylogger, etc) was left behind from the previous owner. I set up a time machine backup on a windows drive and backed everything up that way with no issues. I wanted to make sure that I would be able to keep all the programs he had installed (all legal copies) as it was one of the main selling points of the laptop.

Not realizing that the only discs he included with the the MBP were install discs for 10.5.2, and nothing else, I formatted and did not do a restore from backup as I wanted to choose specific apps to install to make sure no other settings from him were transferred over. As I was going through the install process I still did not know that I was installing 10.5.2, until now when I looked at the original screen shots from the sale that show 10.6.7.

Is there any easy way to get myself out of this pickle? I'd like to be back at 10.6.7 with all of the apps installed, but none of his settings or information on the computer.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While all those apps may have been legal when bought and installed, they are no longer legal if the seller kept all the discs &/or serials for installing on their next computer instead of passing them all to you.

If part of the purchase price included the consideration of the apps on the machine, contact the seller and get those discs or return it to them as they're essentially charging you for what are now pirated apps.

If you're not going to do that, then your next step is to go out and purchase a legal copy of Snow Leopard to install. You are not going to selectively (via drag and drop) restore any application from backup that had an installer - i.e. MS Office, Adobe products, etc. Some of them are likely to quit working the first time they phone home for updates if they have already been activated on another machine somewhere.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« saving Emails | HP LaserJet 2100M -- Gutenprint v5.2.3 »