New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Alias

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

patrickv

patrickv is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3,250GB HD

Hey all. Now this may be the most dumbest question in the world but I want your answers.

I want to create an alias to my websites folder. I drag my websites folder to the dock and done. Now the default of osx is "Display as stack" and "view content as automatic". That's cool with me but that's not what I want. I want to do things faster. I want it so that when i click my websites folder (on dock), it opens up the sites folder as a finder window directly. (rather than clicking the "open in finder" all the time)

I want

(Previously i created an alias of websites folder and placed it on the dock, that worked,until i deleted the alias of the websites folder at the original location, now the one on the dock doesn't work. that's logical but I don't want the sites alias to be in my Home, I just want a direct link to the websites folder)

It sounds easy and it is easy i just can't understand why OsX is tries so hard at basic functions.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I bet there's a way to do that with Automator or using Terminal. I was just reading about using Terminal to create an iCal keyboard shortcut that bypasses the usual find the app, open it, tell it you want to create an Event... You just hit the keys, and you're there.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

What is your objection to the alias method? Are you worried about your home directory getting too messy? You could just make an Alias folder, and put anything you want aliased in there. If it is just this one folder - then what difference does it make that you have an alias in your home directory?

Or try dragging the folder to the favorites section of the sidebar - quick access from any finder window.

Or drag the aliases to your desktop so you have access from either the dock or the desktop.

Or try a program like Quicksilver or Alfred
Quicksilver is more than a launcher
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Moved thread to appropriate forum. The Lounge is a forum to "get away" from technical issues.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
patrickv

patrickv is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3,250GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I bet there's a way to do that with Automator or using Terminal. I was just reading about using Terminal to create an iCal keyboard shortcut that bypasses the usual find the app, open it, tell it you want to create an Event... You just hit the keys, and you're there.
Hmmm thanks I will google some moar !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
What is your objection to the alias method? Are you worried about your home directory getting too messy?
Yes, avoid a messy workspace.

Quote:
You could just make an Alias folder, and put anything you want aliased in there. If it is just this one folder - then what difference does it make that you have an alias in your home directory?
Because I'm planning to organize folders so I don't want millions of alias lying around. I wanna be neat

Quote:
Or try dragging the folder to the favorites section of the sidebar - quick access from any finder window.
Never thought of that one, will try thanks

Quote:
Or drag the aliases to your desktop so you have access from either the dock or the desktop.
Hmm I want no alias lying around like said, just a direct link

Quote:
Or try a program like Quicksilver or Alfred
Quicksilver is more than a launcher
Thanks will do
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Making a revertable Snow Leopard sandbox | Folder icons missing - and more trouble »