Lion, Trim & Finder question
    Hello,

Today I updated to Lion from Snow Leopard and I have a question regarding Trim:
    My iMac is the late 2010 27" model with an Apple installed SSD as the primary drive, and 2TB second HD. I have checked and it states that Trim is available on this SSD in the system information window. But how do I know if it is actually enabled?

I am guessing it does everything in the background, but is there something I should do since I have been using the iMac's SSD without trim for nearly a year?

Secondly, I notice that the primary HD, the SSD does not show up on Finder. Previously, it listed both hard drives, Macintosh HD1, and Macintosh HD2. Now, only the 2TB HD is listed on the left panel under "devices". Is this normal?

Anyone with any idea on the trim question?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Note that Trim was enabled for your Apple SSD when Snow Leopard was updated. I don't remember which update enabled it, however, you can research that from Google.

Trim works in the background. If it says it's enabled, then it's working.

As far as both your hard drives showing up in Finder, have you opened the Finder preferences and put a check in the appropriate boxes under devices?

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Note that Trim was enabled for your Apple SSD when Snow Leopard was updated. I don't remember which update enabled it, however, you can research that from Google.

Trim works in the background. If it says it's enabled, then it's working.

As far as both your hard drives showing up in Finder, have you opened the Finder preferences and put a check in the appropriate boxes under devices?
    Thanks for the Finder tip, that was actually the problem. I didn't notice that there wasn't a tick in the HD box in preferences, but a dash instead.

Thanks also for the trim info, but how do I find out if it is indeed enabled? All I can see is that the HD supports trim, I haven't found a point yet where it states enabled or disabled.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I don't have an SSD so I can't be sure of this, but what happens if you select "About this Mac" from the Apple Menu, then press the "More info" button, then choose "Storage"?

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Do as chas suggests however check under Serial-ATA and check to see if it says Trim supported Yes or No.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Year, checked, and it does say Trim Support: Yes.

That doesn't technically say "enabled" which is usually a different thing, but does it mean that in this case?

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Using Lion and not an OWC Mercury Extreme, then yes it is enabled. Interesting OWC advise against enabling on the Mercury Extreme which has a 'garbage service' inbuilt, and they advise enabling could actually harm the drive and lower performance.

How To Enable TRIM On Your Mac’s Solid-State Drive | Lifehacker Australia
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If it says 'Yes' next to Trim when you check in System Info, then it is enabled.
    Yes, that is what it means.

Trim support was added with 10.6.8 and Lion continues it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information