New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Accessing Menu Bar Apps in Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikethebook

Mikethebook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM

I have quite a few apps accessible through menu bar icons such that many of them do not show up unless I'm in the Finder menu . . . which is very short compared to most apps I use. My question is how can I access the full range of menu bar icons when, for example, I'm working in say Scrivener . . . but without opening the Finder window itself?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Can you post screen shots?

Apps in the menu bar are always there regardless of the application that has focus.

Is it that you can't see the icons because of the size of the application menus? (in which case you must be running at a low resolution or have a huge number of menu bar apps!)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

I guess it must be the low resolution I use . . . but I need that. I enclose a couple of shots that reveal my problem.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 12.56.12.png (175.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 13.00.30.png (120.4 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of a way to give menu bar apps higher precedence than the application menus.

Perhaps remove or hide those that you don't really 'need' (you can hide them from the user accounts preferences panel)

You could also get more space by limiting the date/time options you're displaying

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Thanks for your help. I've whittled down some of the menu bar apps but it looks as though I need to remove more. Pity nobody seems to have come up with an app to address lack of menu bar space.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I suspect with the majority of users running larger resolutions it doesn't cause an issue on a large scale.

That doesn't mean there isn't a third-party tool out there to help though.

QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Maybe you're right. I've sent off an e-mail to MacFormat magazine to see if they've any ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Something I've just noticed on your screenshot. Something that looks like iTunes player controls?
If that's what they are why not do away with them and just use the green restore button in iTunes to switch to the mini player and put that in the corner of your screen next to the dock?

QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Ha ha! I was just looking at removing those controls in favour of the iTunes mini player but the green restore button is news to me. I found Shift Command M. Thanks. That's a good start anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

I've reduced the date as you suggested and pruned a couple of other apps so everything is visible at all times. But I will continue to search for a way to create more space if that's possible. Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

I thought you might like to know I found a free app which does what I wanted. It's called NoMenuBar which goes in the Dock and when you click on it, it clears away the menus allowing swift access to all menu bar icons until such time as you click on on the app you are in. It works okay and allows me to keep the day, time and date. Thanks for your help. I like the iTunes Mini better than the controls I had on the menu bar . . . I think.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« os lion issues | Lion unchangeable print settings »