New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - Newbie To Mac's - Need Help W/ Hard Drive Question!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

googly69

Hi All:
I recently got a hand me down Powerbook G4 12' 867mhz from my brother, and I'm totally lost on the correct formatting required for my external hard drive (180 GB) to be read correctly by both Windows XP and MAC OS X 10.2.8.
Is it true that Mac OS can read FAT 32 formatted drives? Currently my hard drive is NTFS format..please advise on how to go about doing this> I'm also having problems reading my DVD backups (Photos) on my prowerbook..keeps saying its not recognizable.
Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

I dont know if 10.2 can write to FAT 32 but i know it can read it. Panther and Tiger i KNOW can write to FAT 32.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Your best bet is to let Windows format the drive. the Mac will read FAT 32, but Windows is pickier about the format than the Mac is.

QUOTE Thanks
googly69

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Your best bet is to let Windows format the drive. the Mac will read FAT 32, but Windows is pickier about the format than the Mac is.
Thanks for the tips. although, I was able to format the drive in OS X. (XP did not give me an option to format that HD into FAT 32..strange).but, the problem now is that it only recognizes it as a 128 GB HD instead of the 180 GB..any thoughts on this?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Maybe you only formated a 128 GB partition instead of the whole 180 GB. Try formating it again.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Is this a USB or FireWire external Drive? I suspect it has to do with the controller for the external drive and is most likely a limitation of the iBook itself.

QUOTE Thanks
googly69

Its a USB external. Also, I tried to change the size during formatting, but it wouldn't let me. I know that HD's of 150 GB and more are recognized in Win Xp after the SP's are installed. Perhaps, upgrading to Tiger will sort this out?
Thanks for the help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I'm not sure Tiger will help. I still think it may be a limitation on the machine itself.

QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

My Ibook see's me 250gb external firewire drive just fine ... try doing the format again and check that you select the maximum size you can have ... I think it might actually be a limitation of the FAT32 system itself thats preventing it from been seen as larger than 128gb ... just do a google on it
QUOTE Thanks
googly69

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-funct
My Ibook see's me 250gb external firewire drive just fine ... try doing the format again and check that you select the maximum size you can have ... I think it might actually be a limitation of the FAT32 system itself thats preventing it from been seen as larger than 128gb ... just do a google on it
Thanks..I'll give it a try tonight.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Burned Out | Anti-virus software for Mac OS X? »