New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

A little puzzled..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Anthonyclem

Anthonyclem is on a distinguished road

I am now running 10.4.11 and was wondering what was next?
I have clicked software update and updated everything i could till it says everything is up to date..

is it snow leopard now?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

No you have to purchase the next OS and depending on the machine as to how far that path can go you have no year/model listed with specs so hard to answer.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyclem View Post
I am now running 10.4.11 and was wondering what was next?
I have clicked software update and updated everything i could till it says everything is up to date..

is it snow leopard now?
Nope. Here's how the releases work…

Mac OS X "Tiger" is 10.4. All updates to it for bug fixes and enhancements, much like service packs for Windows, are issued as "point" updates like this: 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3, and so on, with the last update being 10.4.11.

Leopard isn't a point update. It is a full revision of OS X requiring a new purchase of the OS on disc, much like Windows Vista was a full revision of Windows XP. Except Windows has no sane numbering scheme. So… Leopard is 10.5 with updates being 10.5.1, 10.5.2, etc.

Snow Leopard is 10.6.x. Lion is 10.7.x. You cannot update Tiger any further than you have now, and can only upgrade to a new version of OS X by buying it on disc. Lion is a digital download and requires you have Snow Leopard installed first, although Apple will let you order it on a USB stick sometime this month (no more discs).

You don't HAVE to install Leopard before installing Snow Leopard… you can jump straight from Tiger to Snow Leopard, then to Lion. Although… you didn't say what Mac you have. The older non-Intel based ones (PPC) cannot run Snow Leopard or Tiger.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You will need to purchase Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6) and if you're running a Intel Core2Duo Mac, then Lion (10.7)..

These are are not free upgrades..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Anthonyclem

Anthonyclem is on a distinguished road

I have a mac g5 PPC.

I Have 10.4.11 now so i just need to buy leopard before snow leopard then do i?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyclem View Post
I have a mac g5 PPC.

I Have 10.4.11 now so i just need to buy leopard before snow leopard then do i?
You have a PPC Mac. You cannot run Snow Leopard (10.6). Ever. You can run Leopard (10.5) though.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you are sure it's a Mac G5 (Which one BTW, iMac? PowerMac?) you can never run more than Leopard 10.5. 10.6 is Snow Leopard and for Intel Macs only.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Typing Content in Content Box on Personalized Website | Activity Monitor and CPU usage »