New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trying to delete a file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vicreoy

I have a .sit file on my desktop that will not go into the trash. It says that it is being used by another program, but there are no program open. I have rebooted, and still, it won't let me delete this .sit file. How do I find out what program is using this file and close it?

Thanks,
steve
QUOTE Thanks
ho7pes6fall1

i had that same problem throughout my mac experience i have a few files like the one you have...right now its a mp3 file...theres this program thats called batChmod you can download it off apple site....it changes the settings of the file so you have complete control over it sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesnt...good luck.,
QUOTE Thanks
vicreoy

thanks for your reply, this just seems like a very bizarre problem. Why should you need a program to delete a file?

Peace,
Steve
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

You could use the terminal if you are ok with doing that...
QUOTE Thanks
vicreoy

^^could you be so kind as to let me know how to do this?^^ I have never used terminal before. I would greatly appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

type:

Code:
sudo rm ~/Desktop/FILENAME.sit
oh and that's a tilde ~

And then when it asks for your admin password, type it in and that should take care of it.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
vicreoy

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ho7pes6fall1

THANK YOU SOO MUCH....i had the .mp3 file on my desktop for monthes
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

No worries, glad to be of some help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound output | Now here's a mind-numbing problem... »