New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Internal Hard Drive Not Showing in Disk Utility - Macbook Pro 2007

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigideaguy

bigideaguy is on a distinguished road

I recently installed osx lion on my macbook pro and had it going for maybe 2 days and then the computer wouldn't boot. I got a flashing folder with a question mark but I was able to use the install cd to go into disk utility. However the only thing I could see there was the cd drive, the hard drive was not there.

When I turn the macbook pro on i can feel the hard drive starting and the computer chimes but then it goes to the folder and wont boot.

I looked around and thought the issue might be the cable that goes from the hard drive to the logic board? Or do you guys think the hard drive is fried?

I have tried clearing ram and everything else I could find with no luck.

Macbook pro 2007
Intel core duo 2.16ghz
500GB hard drive Seagate Momentus XT

Thanks for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigideaguy View Post
I recently installed osx lion on my macbook pro and had it going for maybe 2 days and then the computer wouldn't boot. I got a flashing folder with a question mark but I was able to use the install cd to go into disk utility. However the only thing I could see there was the cd drive, the hard drive was not there.

When I turn the macbook pro on i can feel the hard drive starting and the computer chimes but then it goes to the folder and wont boot.

I looked around and thought the issue might be the cable that goes from the hard drive to the logic board? Or do you guys think the hard drive is fried?

I have tried clearing ram and everything else I could find with no luck.
It could be the cable, and would be a simple thing to check to ensure it is seated properly. Barring that, the only other culprits would be the hard drive (most likely) or the motherboard itself.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ppoch

ppoch is on a distinguished road

Hi, have a similar problem, my internal HDD not showing on Disk Utility. But my story started different. MBP with OS X Lion was in sleep mode and drained all his battery. When I turned it on, hibernation didn't loaded, just stopped after the chime sound and the progress bar was just starting to load. I could start from Snow Leopard DVD, erase the disk with Disk Utility, installed SL, and restored from Time Machine backup made with Lion (this last action I think started my headache). All seemed to be a successful system restore. But when I turned the MBP on again next day, it didn't boot and started making some noises from HDD like hardware testing. I again started up from SL DVD, Disk Utility showed the disk, I tried to erase it again, but a message popped up saying there was an error in the process and the HDD then disappeared from the available drive in Disk Utility. Now I don't know what can I do to get my HHD (Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200 rpm) running again. The HDD still spins, as I can hear it. Now I'm using an external HDD (the original that came with my BMP2,2) with Lion.

How did you solve your problem, was it the cable connector to the drive? or something else?

I think there may be a problem with the file structure that got corrupted when I put a Lion backup over a Snow Leopard boot drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« spinning wheel | MacBook keeps going to screen Where it says Power off and Back On. »