Copying files from Mac to PC

I'm currently switching from Mac back to PC as the cost of a new Mac was just too much for me.

I've networked my old Mac (10.4.11) and PC (Windows 7) together successfully and set up a sharing folder so I can transfer over my older files.

I've set my data copying and I'm getting an error saying "file names too long". I've got a lot of data to copy so it's not really an option to do this via a usb stick. Has anyone got any suggestions how I can make this work over the network?

Bump, I could really do with a hand on this one, I've got to get my data over to my pc

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The Windows error "file names too long" is deceptive. It could be that you're copying to the root directory of the Win 7 machine and it's full.

Also, there are file names and extensions in OS X which are not compatible with Windows. You'll have to manually separate those out.

When copying (even on a network) you should be copying to folders and sub folders if possible. Otherwise you're going to invoke that error when the directory is full.

Thanks for the reply. The drive I'm copying to definitely isn't full, it's a new 1TB disk.

I don't quite understand what you mean about copying to folders/subfolders though? Could you elaborate?

I've also just noticed that word doc files aren't copying over in a format windows can read. I don't understand this as if I'd saved a document from my Mac onto a USB stick it'd be readable on a PC. How is that possible? :S

Thread Information