New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - OSX/XP Dual operating systems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shadow9

I switched to the iMac G5 about a year ago and have gotten into the MMORPG gaming world. The problem is most of them do not support Mac OS. I've thought about trying an emulator program such as Virtual PC, but feel that it would be a rather laggy solution, so my question is this:

Is it possible, or reasonable, to install Win XP as a secondary OS on my iMac G5?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9
I switched to the iMac G5 about a year ago and have gotten into the MMORPG gaming world. The problem is most of them do not support Mac OS. I've thought about trying an emulator program such as Virtual PC, but feel that it would be a rather laggy solution, so my question is this:

Is it possible, or reasonable, to install Win XP as a secondary OS on my iMac G5?
Not possible yet. May be possible with the switch to Intel next year

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Shadow9

Quote:
Not possible yet. May be possible with the switch to Intel next year
Well, that's a real drag on my Mac experience, but the only one to date. So the next question is:

Will an emulator operate efficiently enough to run an MMORPG without much trouble?
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

I haven't even been able to get Solitare to run efficiently on the Virtual PC emulator... You would probably save money and frustration by snagging an older PC off of Ebay to play games on.

I know that's not the answer you want to hear... But unfortunately VPC is really slow. For me it actually works out better because I tend to spend more time getting work done and less time playing games... But a couple years ago this would have driven me nuts.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

VPC is not cannot handle 3d graphics so it is not meant for gaming.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cool little trick on 10.4 | Backup Copy Question »