New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Heads up on Lion Superdrive *fake* glitch, possibly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

karlos2000

karlos2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985

I'm running an '08 Macbook Pro (2.53 processor, 4 gig memory) 15 inch.

Upgraded to Lion last week. Loving it. However, straight after the update I noticed my superdrive wouldn't recognise (mount) CDs, though it would play DVDs just fine. I assumed that my drive was on the way out or maybe busted, as I did some forum trawling elsewhere and it seems there is evidence that this can sometimes happen (ie: the CD optics can fail but DVD optics carry on working).
But, I thought this was somehow way too coincidental, as it was working fine before the Lion upgrade and only stopped working right after the update.

So, I went into System preferences > CD & DVDs > and turned off the standard preferences I had selected, then went back in & turned them all back on again (same as my old settings) and the drive now works fine.

Just a heads up that this "glitch" may not be a failing drive, but more likely a system upgrade bug that is easily cleared.
If it at least saves *one* trip for *one* person to a Mac store, it's worth my time typing this.

cheers

Karlos

chances are I think you are a douche.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyle Higgs

Kyle Higgs is on a distinguished road

Strange but its seemed to work for me too.

Consider me the *one* person you've saved a trip to the Apple store

Signed up especially to thank you and almost forgot.

Cheers karlos2000!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks for that heads up. Hopefully that will explain my problem. Doubt it though since mine pre-dates Lion.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
cej.kyle

cej.kyle is on a distinguished road

Hi Turning off the system preferences for CD/DVD worked for me too

Thanks!!!:
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

^^^^ So happy a 2 yr old thread is still helping folk's out.
Glad it helped you Kyle

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot launch Finder/applications | file permissions »